UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2019, 1:14 pm   #1
gilubilu
Retired Dormant Member

Default Kenwood Chef A701A - Planet Hub Rotates with Back Cover Off

Hi,

I am in the process of restoring an old Kenwood Chef A701A. When re-servicing the gearbox, I have noted that that the clutch which should disengage the rest of the gears when the back cover is removed is not working. It seems that small gear is not being pulled up enough to remove contact from the rest of the gears. I have tried to pull this up manually and turn the wheel, but nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 17th Jul 2019, 8:11 am   #2
trsomian
Hexode

Default Re: Kenwood Chef A701A - Planet Hub Rotates with Back Cover Off

From what I remember of these there are two axial projections on some part or other, that engage with the first gear, and when the cover is removed the thing, whatever it is, moves upwards so that the gear is no longer driven. Is that so on yours, because if it is it would seem that the part is not moving up enough: I seem to recall it is some sort cast zinc thing, with the cover pushing down on the top of it. I think it has a spring underneath it; could the spring be broken?
Old 17th Jul 2019, 8:31 am   #3
gilubilu
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you. You are correct there is a spring-loaded shaft which moves up or down depending on whether the back cover is there or not. Thing is that even if I pull it up completely (by hand) it seems to still be engaging the rest of the gears. My worry is that it remains only just engaged (on the edge of the teeth) and could possibly damage the gears. I would almost prefer for it to be always fully engaged (I think).
Old 17th Jul 2019, 8:48 am   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

Yes, there's a pin on the front lower face of the blue plastic cover which you take off to put the liquidiser on, which bears down on a sprung-loaded shaft. This shaft should pop up when the cover comes off, leaving the end of the shaft more or less flush with the top of the hole in which it sits, or perhaps a mm or so recessed. If it doesn't pop up like that, it sounds like a broken spring underneath the thing.
Old 17th Jul 2019, 1:26 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I would guess that the two halves of the clutch are stuck together with hardened grease.
Drip a small amount of thin oil down the plunger hole and leave it over night with the cover off and see if the plunger comes up by itself.
Closed Thread