UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2019, 12:03 pm   #1
real0real
Pentode

Default Unknown reel to reel tape recorder

Hi

Anyone know who made this plus model number as nothing written on it
Possibly Baird or collaro ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191106_154700.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	193233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191106_154727.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	193234   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191106_132833.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	193235   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191106_155437.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	193245  

Last edited by real0real; 7th Nov 2019 at 12:30 pm.
Old 7th Nov 2019, 12:44 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Unknown real to real tape recorder

I think the brand is "Sound" made by company called TRE.
Old 7th Nov 2019, 1:59 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown real to real tape recorder

It's from 1955 and made by Tape Recorders (Electronics) Limited who used the brand name "Sound". The microphone looks like an Acos crystal type.
Old 7th Nov 2019, 2:14 pm   #4
llama
Octode

Default Re: Unknown reel to reel tape recorder

The deck is an earlier version of the Collaro Transcriptor - the one usually seen is the Mk 4 which has a numeric tape position counter. So I guess this is a Mk1, 2 or 3!
Graham
Old 7th Nov 2019, 2:22 pm   #5
reelguy
Heptode

It looks like the first reel recorder I bought { on HP from Lewis's in Liverpool. }
It was a Sound 555. I used to have to take it back for repairs and in the end I fixed it myself as they gave up on it. It was the beginning of my interest in reel recorders .
I have a similar recorder tucked away somewhere which was still in working order last time I used it. 3 speeds , 2 track mono, reverse playback and recording by using the buttons on the other side. heavy !
Peter W. Reelguy
Old 7th Nov 2019, 5:06 pm   #6
real0real
Pentode

Hi
Thanks for the response but still unable to find correct match or seen on the net
Old 7th Nov 2019, 10:57 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

What more do you need to know?

The service sheets for the Collaro Transcriptor deck will be available from the instant download link at the top right of this page for £1.99 and the electronic information will be in one of the big red R&TV servicing books from the 50's - if you can find it.

It's basically an early version of the Sound 555 as has already been said. You're unlikely to find much about it on the net as most of them would have been scrapped for the valves years ago.

If you show us a picture of the bottom, I bet there's a panel with a ventilation grill in it that unscrews with the separate power supply fixed onto it in the bottom of the cabinet.

It may have had an earlier model number designation than 555, as the 555 model had twin speakers and an electrostatic tweeter, and yours looks to have just a single central speaker - internal inspection will confirm. The make and model number would be a brass type badge which should be on the front, but may have dropped off and got lost by now.

A quick edit to add: The microphone is the original one for the recorder. The original speed change knob has obviously been broken off and replaced at some time with the one shown in your picture.

Last edited by Techman; 7th Nov 2019 at 11:22 pm. Reason: Additional information.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 11:14 am   #8
brenellic2000
Octode

It's a 'Sound' /Sound A20 of 1958 - an upgraded recased 'Sound'/444. TRE was always changing model names... unfortunately Wireless World and the few tape recorder magazines had a job keeping up!
Old 8th Nov 2019, 1:47 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I doubt if this is as late as 1958. By that time, "Sound" were using the later/last version of the Collaro Transcriptor deck, just prior to the 1959 release of the well-regarded Collaro "Studio" model. I have the original "Sound" brochures.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 1:52 pm   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I have the original "Sound" brochures.
How about posting them on here? I'm sure many members would like to see them.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 2:54 pm   #11
brenellic2000
Octode

The 444 used the final Transcriptor - the Mk.IV which came in autumn 1958, maybe to use up stock. The Collaro Studio was announced in April 1959 with volume production commencing summer 1959.
Old 8th Nov 2019, 6:27 pm   #12
real0real
Pentode

Hi

Today had another look at the recorder , Removed to and found a stamp on chassis of the machine can just about make out collaro plus 60 in middle , i also tested it today ,got it to work with help of a bit of WD40 and it works , got it to play a tape with Hank Williams written on it , wheel speed bit slow but helped spin wheel little with my finger sounded like him talking and singing on the tape ,
have to play bit more later in week see wether recorded live or off radio or somethink
machine i think needs a overhaul as sticking a little , but does work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02894.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	193364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02903.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	193365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02902.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	193366   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02900.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	193367   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02899.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	193368  

Old 8th Nov 2019, 9:29 pm   #13
Techman
Dekatron

Well there's your actual model number designation in your 4th picture, ie, A20.

Looking at your 3rd picture, I see that although it has exactly the same case form as the 555, it doesn't have the removable panel on the bottom, but has two ventilation grills rather than just the one. I bet the power supply unit on the inside is the same, though.

I would advise against the WD40, remember, it's NOT a lubricant as such. Use proper clock or sewing machine oil for the job.

These are a good deck to get going as they don't seem to suffer from the rotten rubber problems that many others do. Everything is fully adjustable.

The metal to metal contact parts of the speed change mechanism need freeing and lubricating properly - this having not been done originally would have caused the snapping off of the original speed change knob, a common problem on these.
Closed Thread