UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:15 pm   #1
QUADGOD
Tetrode

Default Revox B760 tuner lights up but no response to indoor aerial

I purchased this with other Revox gear and this is the only problem unit.
I've no instructions so I just tried a wire off the normal round aerial out but get zero response from the vu's or through amp.
Any idea please? I'm an electrical appliance engineer but not in electronics....
Old 4th Jul 2019, 12:51 pm   #2
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Revox B760 tuner lights up but no response to indoor aerial

I'm not familiar with this particular model, however a couple of suggestions for you:

1) Basic question, can you tune across the FM Band?

2) If so, then with the aerial connected do you hear anything on the audio output as you tune across the Band?

Quite a few tuners mute the output unless the signal is strong enough to give satisfactory stereo performance. Usually there is a way to select 'mono' operation when usually you will hear what the tuner is tuned to - and this may just be hiss.

It is possible that your aerial is not one designed for the FM band and is just a UHF TV aerial. Can you check this point please?

Last edited by SteveCG; 4th Jul 2019 at 12:53 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 4th Jul 2019, 6:47 pm   #3
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

These tuners are extremely sensitive and should work even with a length of ordinary wire attached for use as an aerial.

Try setting the tuning mode to manual and then check the frequency display alters as required. Set the frequency to, say 88.5MHz for Radio 2, this might be different in your area.

One other thing to check is the 'Muting Off' button located on the lower right front panel. Press this to disable quiet tuning mode i.e. inter station noise suppression. When depressed you should hear background hiss with no signal or between stations.

Is the Amber muting signal indicator illuminated, located above the muting mode switch?

Also check muting mode switch is set to inter-tuning rather than inter-stereo.

There are three audio out options. DIN and adjacent phono sockets are fixed level, the variable output is set by a control hidden under the front drop down door.

Rich

Last edited by Marconi_MPT4; 4th Jul 2019 at 7:03 pm. Reason: Additions
Old 10th Jul 2019, 7:07 pm   #4
QUADGOD
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi_MPT4 View Post
These tuners are extremely sensitive and should work even with a length of ordinary wire attached for use as an aerial.

Try setting the tuning mode to manual and then check the frequency display alters as required. Set the frequency to, say 88.5MHz for Radio 2, this might be different in your area.

One other thing to check is the 'Muting Off' button located on the lower right front panel. Press this to disable quiet tuning mode i.e. inter station noise suppression. When depressed you should hear background hiss with no signal or between stations.

Is the Amber muting signal indicator illuminated, located above the muting mode switch?

Also check muting mode switch is set to inter-tuning rather than inter-stereo.

There are three audio out options. DIN and adjacent phono sockets are fixed level, the variable output is set by a control hidden under the front drop down door.

Rich
Manual tuning readout working perfectly. Muting light stays on no matter if switch is depressed or not. Noise reduction light does not come on. I've got it on fixed output into the Revox B750 mk2 amp. No hiss through amp/speakers or signal showing on vu's.
Doesn't look like a simple fix ..for me that is... unless there's something inside that may need freeing off with switch cleaner but then I'd still get a reading on vu's surely ?
Old 10th Jul 2019, 8:14 pm   #5
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUADGOD View Post
Doesn't look like a simple fix ..for me that is...
Having checked the basic controls, it does indeed look as if something is amiss. You should at least get some deflection on the signal strength meter with the tuning meter moving left-centre-right when tuning through a station.

Just a thought, there are two slots for optional Dolby B decoder boards however when these are not fitted two jumper boards have to be installed otherwise the fault symptom is similar. To check what is fitted unscrew the left hand side cabinet panel and you should have one of the board options installed. If link boards (default) then make sure Noise Reduction is only set to normal.

Rich
Old 10th Jul 2019, 8:38 pm   #6
QUADGOD
Tetrode

I assumed it would have noise reduction so I will check boards... Or if no NR maybe those link boards are not seated properly and need removing replacing?
Clutching at straws here. I purchased from a family member after a death so no one knows much about equipment to quiz over....
Closed Thread