UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2011, 4:24 am   #1
steptoe54
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips Discoverer 14GR-1220

Hi. I have a Philips Discoverer 14GR-1220 and when tuning it in, it only seems to search UHF channels, but it doesn't appear to search VHF. VHF doesn't even come up when searching automatically. Any advice? Thank you.
Old 17th May 2011, 1:19 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Discoverer

probably a UK set.
Old 17th May 2011, 2:24 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

There's no need to even open up the set to see what tuner was fitted, as long as you have the complete model number at hand. If the set was destined for the UK, there will be a /05 at the end. The tuner in that case is UHF-only so no VHF tuning will be possible without modification. If there's a /00 or /07 in the model number, the destination is Europe or Ireland in which case VHF-tuning should be possible.

On the other hand, sets destined for other regions can have more exotic destination codes which I will have to look up.
Old 17th May 2011, 6:32 pm   #4
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

The micro goes wrong as well and causes tuning problems. I might have a chassis for this set in the shed but there were a few versions. If you are not experienced in TV repair leave well alone or you could get a nasty or fatal shock.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 18th May 2011 at 12:24 am. Reason: FSK, FPK.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:16 am   #5
steptoe54
Retired Dormant Member

I have found that it's a UK set, so no VHF. I could use a digital set top box, but will need RCA inputs for AV. Is it a simple job to install AV inputs on this set? I'm a hobby technician, but no experience with TV's, mostly radios etc. Any suggestions?
Old 18th May 2011, 12:41 am   #6
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Philips Discoverer 14GR-1220

Hi steptoe,

Quote:
Is it a simple job to install AV inputs on this set?
Most Definitely Not!, This is a Live Chassis TV, please read further back on some previous posts (by me).

What you are thinking of doing is dangerous, and at best will blow the fuse and damage the PSU in the TV set/set top box, at worst make your set top box LIVE!, Don't do it!

Please Work safely, and take care.

Cheers,
Baz

Last edited by Red to black; 18th May 2011 at 12:54 am. Reason: minor changes/emphasis
Old 18th May 2011, 8:43 am   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Steptoe, The easy way is to use a modulator to connect digibox to aerial socket on TV. Modulators can be bought, but cheapest way is an old VCR with RF output but must have scart socket as well. Not all VCR have both so shop around. For safety you must use an Isolated coax lead between VCR and TV. Good hunting John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 18th May 2011 at 8:47 am. Reason: added more information
Old 18th May 2011, 8:51 am   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Just another thought,some set top boxes have a modulator built in but tend to be expensive. John.
Old 18th May 2011, 1:18 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Just echoing R2B - don't be tempted to fit sockets.
The Icecrypt T5000 freeview receiver has a modulator and is available for under £40 from CHS (chsinteractive.co.uk). Cheaper than a big bang!
Glyn
Old 18th May 2011, 10:18 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi Steptoe54.

Just be aware that live chassis sets were common in the UK, up until the 80's when more sets were fitted with video sockets. Many basic portable sets at the time were not fitted with any sort of video/audio sockets and remained as 'live chassis' sets. It's only later when more people connected VCR's and DVD's via scart that it became necessary to use isolated supplies for TV's.

I think Australian requirements were different and all sets were required to have isolated chassis via a transformer so you may not be aware that the same did not apply to UK sets.

As others have said DO NOT try to fit any sort of external A/V connection.

SB
Old 18th May 2011, 10:31 pm   #11
hamid_1
Heptode

To use your British TV in Australia, you will need an RF modulator designed for the PAL-I (UK) standard. An Australian VCR or modulator will give pictures but no sound. You may have already noticed this if you've tried to tune in any local UHF stations.
PAL I (British system) modulators can be bought from ebay.co.uk and maplin.co.uk
You may also be able to get a PAL-I modulator from Hong Kong more cheaply. They use the same system as the UK.
It's really easy to use. Just connect your Australian digital box to the modulator's RCA inputs. Connect the modulator to the British TV with an aerial lead and tune the TV to the UHF channel that the modulator uses (see its instructions). The Philips TV should tune in automatically when you press the search button. Just press Store when finished. Then you can relax and watch TV!
This method needs no modification to the set, and thus avoids the risk of an electric shock.
(It is possible to modify an Australian modulator or VCR to give sound on a British TV, and also possible to modify the British TV to receive sound from Australian equipment, but I don't recommend this unless you know what to do.)
Old 20th May 2011, 3:51 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

note to self...look at where the poster lives before offering pointless advice....
Old 21st May 2011, 1:41 am   #13
Jason Pero
Retired Dormant Member

Early sets in some countries were live chassis and the small area of inputs/outputs components were fed with isolation power transformer that was driven from flyback output.

Later on isolation went inside the flyback transformer instead. SMPS came in use very late in the TV CRT life around 3-4 years.

This what I see in last 9 years as TV tech in canada.

Cheers, Wizard
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:26 pm   #14
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

A few years back well in the late 80s their was an artical in television mag how to update a G11 for video in out and audio will it work with this set i wonder
it is not worth it you can connect a vcr or freeview box with rf modulator easy peasy
Closed Thread