UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2011, 10:38 am   #61
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 900 pre-war TV at NVCF

Ian.

It is torture I want to see what I have bought but I may get chance today as David (Fernseh) has kindly offered to restore the cabinet after seeing some of his work I think we can assume the cabinet will be in safe hands. Some time ago I bought a Marconi post war set from eBay correctly described as having woodworm when I collected it it was absolutely riddled when I tried to move it the bottom fell out of the cabinet along with the power supply etc having got it home I studied it for some time and finally came to the decision that it was beyond repair so I dismantled it very quickly (cut wires etc) and took the remains to David for spares where he said where's the cabinet, I explained that the bottom had turned to dust and fallen out and the rest of the cabinet was comming apart with the dreaded worm and most of it was a pile of dust in front of the shed even the spear fell out during the dismantling however he said it was too rare a set to lose so I took him the crumbling remains.

Some weeks later it was all back together and on it's way to Scotland where the electronics were restored and I now understand it resides in a museum.

I have no doubt the cabinet will be restored to the highest standard possible considering its present state.

Tas,

I dont know if I am brave or barmy but I do tend to go for poor sad old things..........
nothing beats the feeling of restoring a total wreck and seeing it in all its former glory OK I will not be doing all this but I will have helped it on its way hopefully to be enjoyed for years to come

Many thanks to all for all the good wishes and general interest I will try and keep you all up to date with progress and David will no doubt show his work as it progresses.

Mike
Old 20th May 2011, 1:23 pm   #62
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This is excellent news! I am delighted to hear that this set is remaining in the UK and will be bought back to its former glory.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th May 2011, 1:25 pm   #63
FRANK.C
Heptode

Congratulations Mike what a great buy. It will be a very interesting project, it's quite a commitment but you will have so much more satisfaction when completed than getting one in better condition. I am looking forward to the progress reports. Great choice in David for the cabinet work he will make a superb job of it.

The very best of luck with it
Frank
Old 20th May 2011, 2:25 pm   #64
kalee20
Dekatron

Good news that it is staying in the UK, even better news that it belongs to a Forum member!

Good luck with this. You'll have a lot of fun!
Old 20th May 2011, 2:55 pm   #65
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Mike, I'm sure you don't need the warning but it never hurts to repeat it. Mains derived EHT, as on this and many other early TVs, is lethal.

Thre's a difference between respecting it and fearing it. If you're afraid of it then that's potentially (please excuse pun) dangerous. It's like carrying a cup of hot tea and saying to yourself continually "mustn't drop it", which makes you more likely to have an accident. Respecting it keeps you safe. Always be aware of it, never neglect safe working practices and try not to be killed more than once.

I did once neglect safe practice on a prewar TV and got away with it. Just. I must have been half an inch from a very nasty shock several times within the space of half an hour. When I realised what I'd done I felt very shaky.
Old 20th May 2011, 9:44 pm   #66
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

I always wondered. Did they just rob a neon sign transformer for the prototype?
Old 21st May 2011, 10:04 am   #67
ianm
Hexode

Mike,

Is the set out of the car yet? Has David taken a look at it? We're eager for updates!

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 21st May 2011, 11:02 am   #68
audiomagpie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm View Post
Mike,

Is the set out of the car yet? Has David taken a look at it? We're eager for updates!
And photo's of the chassis!!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 21st May 2011, 12:25 pm   #69
Station X

I'm closing this thread which mainly related to the purchase of the above set. Some posts relating to its restoration have been moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=69626

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread