UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2011, 11:15 pm   #1
ArthurMullard
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony SLV-E820 VCR

I was hoping to find a helping hand (holding) to get a Sony SLV-E820 VCR back to full order. This machine is needed for digitizing the family PAL & NTSC VHS library. As it is very suitable for my purpose, I'm prepared to spend some time and effort to properly repair it, however, I was always more comfortable with the electronics - never the mechanisms
Hence my shout for a knowledgeable hand with this model.

So ... the machine actually plays tapes perfectly well but it fails to fully unthread the tape (leaves a large tape loop after the pich roller retracts) and fails to fully eject the tape ...... sometimes!

SONY UK service centre have already told me that they no longer support these machines or provide spares for them. However, I’m quite happy if I can repair it with canabalized/used parts if required.

I've already cleaned the tape path and guides. Any directions for what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
Old 24th Feb 2011, 11:53 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Sony SLV-E820 VCR

some of these have a little arm in front of the audio / control head that gets stuck with old lubricant, check that it moves freely. If not a few drops of penetrating oil on the spindle should loosen it off nicely.
Old 25th Feb 2011, 12:08 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

I don't think I've ever had mode switch problems on a sony (though I think some used a Daewoo type mech, which were more prone).
More likely the half load arm stcking as mentioned above. Also could be the belt, idler/clutch which needs changing, if the supply spool does not turn during unlace.
Old 25th Feb 2011, 12:47 pm   #4
John123
Heptode

There's a YouTube video here which shows the problem with the half-load arm.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 4:56 am   #5
ArthurMullard
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you guys,

Have looked a bit further into this. In fact the SLV-E820 seems to have a more complex half-load arm arrangement than the one you all describe. Thanks to John I found this too-brief clip that shows the exact same mechanism I have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJB5q3jFhA8

The half-load arm actually appears to be 'driven' by a gear wheel on these models and does seem to behave correctly during tape transport and unloading.
If these mean anything to you guys, the vcr is variously showing the following error codes dependent on the sequence of tape transport functions that I perform:

3L 10 cc
3L 11 Ac
3L 11 7c

Was hoping not to have to track down a full manual for a machine that I won't even need a year from now! I'm actually looking at a .99p special at the moment but don't especially want to take on an even bigger pile of junk unless I need parts.

Thank you for your helpful input.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 12:39 pm   #6
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Arthur,

I will have a look later on for the deck manual for this machine, I think it is the Sony S-Mechanism, off the top of my head (I will check later today).
Which if it is, I may have already posted on the forum (again I will check later today, as I have things to do first).

Cheers,
Baz

Ps. it is actually the H-Mechanism, Which I will also have

Last edited by Red to black; 27th Feb 2011 at 12:46 pm. Reason: correction
Old 27th Feb 2011, 12:40 pm   #7
radioredcat
Hexode

You can get the service manual below be aware only 2 downloads per day for guests.

http://elektrotanya.com/

Andy
Old 27th Feb 2011, 3:10 pm   #8
ArthurMullard
Retired Dormant Member

Yes Baz, definitely an H-Mechanism as confimred by the s/manual downloaded from http://elektrotanya.com/. Thanks very much to 'radioredcat'. That is a great site and I'm grateful for that resource irrespective of whether I can get this vcr out of trouble!

Unfortunately the 'SLV-E820 Service Manual' makes references to the 'VHS Mechanism Manual' which appears to be a more closely guarded document .... i.e. I haven't located it online.

Anyway at least I can now check some voltage points and try to establish that this thing has a good psu.

Last query for today: I noticed that the tape stays loaded in this machine and appears to be in contact with the rotating head drum even after a 'STOP' function. I had read somewhere else that this was an intentional feature of some later-day vcr's to minimise 'play' delay. Can anyone confirm this? It seems slightly bizarre to me, in terms of 'head wear', if nothing else. Didn't want to leave it running for long enough to see if the head drum may actually spin down after some defined period(?) I guess I should try and figure out some of the servo logic

Cheers,

Andy
Old 27th Feb 2011, 5:06 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

the deck in the youm tube video seemed to be a Panny G deck to me. I have some sonys that use this deck.
Old 27th Feb 2011, 11:29 pm   #10
Red to black
Nonode

Hi again Arthur,

I have located my copy of the H-deck manual, but unfortunately it is too big (3.5 Meg) to post here on the forum.
If you PM me an e-mail address I will send it to you.

This machine/Mechanism is rather flimsy by the Sony standards of the day, and contains an awful lot of plastic components, of which I have had to replace almost all of them at one time or another.

The pulley on the capstan also used to split regularly on this machine, the mode switch will require cleaning or replacing, there were modified springs for the tape (loading) guides as well, and as I have already said most of the plastic components either wear or crack (and bits drop off!), including the rather expensive front loading cassette housing (carriage) loading arms.

Tape Guide TG8 and it's return spring seem to ring bells in my mind for this type of fault.

I can send you the manual if you like, as you may be able to follow that easier than I can try to explain the strange shaped plastic bits of the deck!

Quote:
Last query for today: I noticed that the tape stays loaded in this machine and appears to be in contact with the rotating head drum even after a 'STOP' function. I had read somewhere else that this was an intentional feature of some later-day vcr's to minimise 'play' delay. Can anyone confirm this? It seems slightly bizarre to me, in terms of 'head wear', if nothing else. Didn't want to leave it running for long enough to see if the head drum may actually spin down after some defined period(?) I guess I should try and figure out some of the servo logic
This is quite normal for this range of machines, as you say it was to speed up mode changes to play, this then returns to the full stop mode after about 10mins, if no other mode is selected, Sony obviously had forgotten (or no longer cared!) about the wear problems they had with their earlier Betamax machines.

Cheers,
Baz

Last edited by Red to black; 27th Feb 2011 at 11:41 pm. Reason: spelling +addition
Old 19th May 2011, 1:04 pm   #11
alexa2005
Retired Dormant Member

Hello!
I have an similar machine, SLV-815, and, i have problems in the same way. You may ceck follow:
Open machine, look inside, try to eject an less precious tape. You will find that grease from an tape guide is block the part. The tape guide that i`m talking is the one who move the tape in pintch roller zone.
If you have trouble with the tape guide that surrounding video drum you must look behind the machine. Some gears must be out of order.
Try not to unscrew tape roller guide. They are tuned in position.
Old 20th May 2011, 7:29 pm   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

The guide that gets stuck is mostly called the P5 lever. Sometimes the infamous P5 lever I don't think they often got stuck in newer models like the SLV-E820, though.
Old 20th May 2011, 8:50 pm   #13
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Maarten,

Quote:
The guide that gets stuck is mostly called the P5 lever. Sometimes the infamous P5 lever
Sony call the guide that gets stuck on this machine Tape Guide 8 or TG8.

P5 refers to the Panasonic G-Mech. (and/or other Panasonic mechs.) and is designated as Post 5 or P5.

Two different manufacturers names for essentially the same thing

Cheers,
Baz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pages from H-mech(Sony).pdf (86.7 KB, 423 views)

Last edited by Red to black; 20th May 2011 at 9:15 pm. Reason: Sp
Closed Thread