UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2011, 1:55 am   #41
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Murphy 310A

Hi all, just thought I'd ask around to see if anyone would be able (and willing) to rewind a Murphy lopt? Costs met obviously

Or if anyone knows of a possible source where I could get a NOS one (such as a surviving repair workshop which may have old stock). I've posted in the Wanted and been looking around wherever I can think of but I suspect these things are like hens' teeth

I'd love to be able to get on with this set. Sorry if I seem a little impatient! Just that I've seen this set's potential ...

Brian
Old 5th Feb 2011, 9:25 am   #42
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Brian,

Have you tried contacting murphymad (Mike Barker) or Ed Dinning they both can do LOPT rewinds

Mike https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/member.php?u=511

Ed https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/member.php?u=215 .

Chris
Old 5th Feb 2011, 9:49 pm   #43
TNC
Hexode

Brian,

I have a NOS Murphy LOPTY...(classic ally can type)...it may not be an exact replacement but I am sure it could be persuaded to serve.
It has a code number on the case and I have quoted it on this forum before but I can't recall anyone being able to ID it exactly just from that.

If you are interested I can post a jpeg so you can assess it for suitability.

PM me if you are interested, Trevor.
Old 5th Feb 2011, 10:14 pm   #44
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Trevor, many thanks for this - you have a PM

Brian
Old 6th Feb 2011, 1:01 am   #45
TNC
Hexode

Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lopty.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	46253  
Old 6th Feb 2011, 10:30 am   #46
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
Looks like either a 310 or 410 type There were at one point three types for the 310/320 one with an extra winding for the "A" models with flywheel sync, also the original one with the self oscillating timebase was discontinued as Murphy suggested the 6/30L2 line osc mod should be done to all direct sync models. Eventually Murphy only supplied one replacement for the full range, If Trevors tranny has the correct colours and number of wires it will most likely be the correct transformer.

The 410 type wont work in a 300 series set, from memory though it may have an extra lead.
Old 6th Feb 2011, 1:56 pm   #47
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

From memory mine's got a total of 13 conductors (counting the thick lead as 2 as it is the U26 heater supply) - looks like that transformer is missing the orange, green and purple conductors unfortunately (of which the orange isn't actually used - it goes to a spare tag). I haven't been home yet to check. So I would assume that transformer is for the standard V310 model ..

Brian
Old 6th Feb 2011, 2:27 pm   #48
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Brian.
Yes it is the early type, must be the only one in existence!
Old 16th May 2011, 5:57 pm   #49
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Good news, Mike Barker has rewound my LOPT so once I've allowed any remaining air bubbles to escape from its new bath of oil I'll be ready to continue the restoration. Should be OK within a couple of weeks. Watch this space ..

I also now have a 30L17 valve to try in the tuner once it's all done, thanks again for the suggestion Trevor.

Brian
Closed Thread