UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2009, 3:39 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Painting rubber mask?

I've run into a slight problem with painting a rubber tv mask. Any ideas?

Afer reading posts on the subject, I tried to paint the mask. First I used grey primer then Johnstones 'Aqua' flat emulsion with a bit of added yellow to bring it over to the green side which the mask should be (TV22). I also added 10% PVA to make the paint stick (which it does fine).

The problem is that if daylight hits it then the mask glows! It look totally wrong. It looks fine at night by flourescent or incadescent lighting or in a darkened room though.

I've held a sample of the dried paint under a UV lamp and there is no glow at all. What am I doing wrong? What paint do I need to give the correct finish?

While I'm going on about rubber masks I noted that there was mention of making molds to replicate these. Did anyone ever take this further to a finished item?

Thanks - Dave
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 4:32 pm   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Painting rubber mask?

I suggest you ask Johnstones.

Their web site offers a way to ask questions.

When you say it glows, what colour?
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 4:39 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

It glows green. Under sunlight it even seems to 'collect' light in the same way as luminous paint.

I think Johnstones will simply say that their paint does what it is sold for but I have emailed them.

Last edited by Boom; 3rd Mar 2009 at 4:45 pm.
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 4:49 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

Just to check the obvious thing - - you are sure that the rubber didn't do this anyway??
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 4:55 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I don't recall any of the TV22's that I have seen doing it so I am assuming that I have got the painting wrong and that modern emulsion paints are designed to 'glow'.

If others say their sets masks glow then I will acept that it is me and not the paint but I am pretty sure it isn't me and this is a feature of modern paint so I am asking what paint would be best to match the original.
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 5:14 pm   #6
GMB
Dekatron

Some modern paints are certainly designed to glow so you do need to be careful, although the effect is usually meant to be subtle. Does the paint glow this way by itself or do you think this is some combinatorial problem? It will be due to UV but it may need the high frequency kind (does your UV lamp have a quartz tube?).

I have a TV24 and it's mask always looked a bit strange, but it's too heavy to lug into sunlight to try this - sorry.

The only reason I asked is that many times I have thought that some device that I thought I knew well was doing something unusual - but this was merely a consequence of giving it unusual attention for some reason. I had just never noticed before because I wasn't looking!

Oh yes, I should have asked whether the blast screen is back in place - because if not then the effect may go away when it is.
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 5:31 pm   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Yes the armor screen is in place. The UV tube is a black light disco type one.

The paint actually 'holds' the light. I.e I took the mask into the sun yesterday to dry and when I brought it indoors it definitely had a 'glow' which lasted a few seconds.

The problem is that if this is a feature of all modern paints I am going to have trouble finding one that will match the original.

It may be that this is a known problem as if such paint were to be used on say 'scope cases and tube surrounds it would affect the wanted viewable light coming from it.
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 7:18 pm   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, modern paints often contain (I think) titanium oxide, which is fluorescent, in order to brighten the colours - hence 'brilliant white'. Perhaps one of the paints sold for period house restoration might be a better bet.
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 8:53 pm   #9
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks dseymo1. I think you have hit the nail on the head.

http://www.scientificblogging.com/ne...ital_superbugs
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 10:57 pm   #10
GeorgSc
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Yes, modern paints often contain (I think) titanium oxide, which is fluorescent, in order to brighten the colours - hence 'brilliant white'. Perhaps one of the paints sold for period house restoration might be a better bet.
Yes, modern paints always contain TiO2, if some white pigment
is desirable. It is the one and only white pigment since the 60ties.
And no, TiO2 does not fluoresce.
It is plainly white, and contrary to the former lead white it stays white
for years and years . "brilliant" and so on is sales tales.
Georg
Old 3rd Mar 2009, 11:41 pm   #11
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I used the B&Q range, 1829 paints . Hemp Beige , mat emuslion on my tv22 . I have no complaints . I waxed it with beaswax polish after painting & still ok after a couple of years .
This is an off white paint with just enough green .
Closed Thread