UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2009, 11:32 pm   #1
PSValves
Pentode

Default How to remove paint from a Quad II amp chassis

Can anyone recommend a solvent / other method I can use to remove many years old emulsion paint splats from a Quad II amp?

The chassis of both of my amps are in generally good condition, but there are a few paint spots I've been unable to remove. I'm worried about using something too powerful and damaging the good areas of paintwork.
Old 18th Feb 2009, 11:38 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: How to remove paint from a Quad II amp chassis

Use a credit card and pick them off.....
Old 20th Feb 2009, 5:41 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Methylated spirit will slowly soften emulsion, but leave most other paints unaffected (watch out that the purple dye doesn't stain it, though).
Old 20th Feb 2009, 9:23 am   #4
PSValves
Pentode

Thanks, Sean, I'll give that a try.

Failing that, I'll move up to the meths!
Old 28th Feb 2009, 10:52 am   #5
georgesgiralt
Hexode

Hi !
I've used successfully a spot of paint on a metal cabinet using a spray of tag remover sold in home improvement stores. As, in France, tags on walls is a PITA, these sprays are cheap and efficient.... Better to say that you need to be careful, and process when the spot is fresher than the original paint...
Old 28th Feb 2009, 12:55 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The tag remover Georg speaks of is of course, normally sold as graffiti remover here.

You could also try a bit of rubbing/cutting compound, like you'd use to buff-up new car paintwork, but do try on an invisible place too.

Nick.
Old 28th Feb 2009, 2:20 pm   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
You could also try a bit of rubbing/cutting compound, like you'd use to buff-up new car paintwork, but do try on an invisible place too.
I'd strongly support Nick's "try on an invisible place" advice. Cutting compound applied to Quad II paintwork quickly brings it to a nice glossy shine. However all the Quad IIs I've ever seen which retain their original paintwork are now not glossy. I don't know if they ever were - Quad's advertising literature does contain photos with quite distinct reflections of the valves in the paint - but if they were then they've all aged to a semi-matt finish now. Preserving this during any cleaning process (other than Sean's credit-card suggestiion, perhaps) could be tricky.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 15th Mar 2009, 8:16 pm   #8
PSValves
Pentode

The paint in question appears to be very old and very resistant to removal. The credit card trick didn't work at all (although it worked nicely on our laminate floor - still a good tip!). Also tried graffiti remove which wouldn't touch it either, but I noticed some of the original paint was starting to come off on the cloth, so I didn't persist with the solvent approach.

Might try some cutting compound on a hidden area (behind the badge?) to see what it's like. At the moment though, I'm thinking of leaving them as they are, warts and all. They're not in that bad condition really - I've seen much worse.

Thanks for the all the help and suggestions.
Closed Thread