UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2011, 9:09 am   #21
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: What is the earliest surviving British Colour TV and where is it?

About 1975 I last saw an all valve (or mostly valve) set and worked on it. I forget the model. It did have the valve EHT shunt regulator with X-Ray warnings and a truly enormous convergence panel that hinged out. Rectangular tube. I think those circular colour tubes are early RCA types? I don't think ever used on "normal" production TVs for start of BBC2 Colour service as that is over ten years later?
Old 5th May 2011, 11:30 am   #22
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The original CRT in the Pye CTV was a metal cone RCA 21AXP22. That tube has gone down to air and has been replaced by an all glass Mullard AX53-10.
The Mullard tube was donated by HKShort.
Other American parts used in the set are the scan coils, two 6BY6 valves employed as the -G-Y and -R-Y demodulators and a 6BD4 EHT shunt stabiliser tube.

DFWB.
Old 5th May 2011, 1:15 pm   #23
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by southendsteve55 View Post
Earlier in this thread, murphymad posted a photo of Rank Bush Murphy CTVs being made in Chiswick in 1962. If Colour broadcasting didn't start in the UK until 1967, what were these TVs used for?

Steve
Hi Steve
I remember the large grey RBM colour sets in the Lime Grove TV Studios of the BBC in 1962-3. They were monitors being used in the experimental colour studio (Studio H, I seem to remember). There were also a couple of examples at the BBC training school in Evesham and of course, at Research Department. Add to those, many other broadcasters and companies were working on colour equipment so the need for monitors (and the cheaper receiver/monitors) was there even though the domestic service had not yet started. The receivers were also used in key employees' homes for field testing - they were the licky ones!!
Old 5th May 2011, 7:18 pm   #24
jayceebee
Heptode

Does anyone know if there was a Thorn/BRC 1000 chassis? I remember there was a brief mention of it in an early 60's Practical Television magazine and that it used valves throughout. Did this chassis actually exist before deceiding to go solid state with the 2000?
Old 5th May 2011, 9:33 pm   #25
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi JCB,
Many years ago I remember seeing extracts of the circuit diagram of the BRC/Ferguson "1000" series colour TV chassis. It is almost certain that because it was an early '60s design it would employ a round CRT, perhaps an all glass 22FJB22. Two EL500s were employed in the line output stage.
Another rare colour set to look out for.

DFWB.
Old 6th May 2011, 1:30 pm   #26
wiwior
Tetrode

Hello david,

Congratulations, Very nice television set,hope he soon recover his nice color.

sincerely as all

wilfrid
Old 6th May 2011, 9:19 pm   #27
TVJON74
Triode

Hi all,
I have an old colour tube, I thinks it's a 21FBP22 that came from an early/prototype set.
I think it's an RCA tube from memory.
I dont know what happened to the rest of the set! Tube is complete with scan coils and tube base socket.
No idea how old it or if it still works.

Keep up the good work.

Best regards
Jon
Old 6th May 2011, 11:32 pm   #28
southendsteve55
Retired Dormant Member

Brian
Thanks for the reply ref. the RBM photo. Imagine being one of those lucky field testers having a colour TV in their homes before anyone else!

Steve
Old 8th May 2011, 1:52 pm   #29
ENGLISH VICTOR
Hexode

Quite a lot of colour experimental tests took place long before the official broadcasts began with BBC2 in 1967. They began with 405 line ntsc tests in the 1950s and as time went on most if not all systems were probably used. The 405 line tests looked excellent, I saw them on Pye ,GEC and I think Bush and Ecko sets, of course all employed round RCA tubes. Of course 625 line experiments followed later. The BBC even experimented with a version of NIR.
Victor.
Old 14th May 2011, 10:08 pm   #30
FERNSEH
Dekatron

It's the ultimate television entertainment this evening, the Eurovision Song Contest.
Here are three off-screen pictures from the Pye colour set. One picture is of the Spanish contributor and the other two are of artistes from the Ukraine.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	405Eurovision1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	51166   Click image for larger version

Name:	405Eurovision2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	51167   Click image for larger version

Name:	405Eurovision3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	51168  
Old 14th May 2011, 10:15 pm   #31
murphyv310
Dekatron

Brilliant David.
A 50's set showing 2011 programs what an achievement!
Old 16th May 2011, 11:08 am   #32
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLENZ32 View Post
Very interesting see these early British colour sets, I've never seen any colour TV with valves in it yet... I'm hoping someday day one will surface here in NZ.. And when it does I'll be posting a thread up about it! Oh and welcome to the forum southendsteve55
Just FYI Glen, the first colour TV's built in NZ were Mullard hybrids with solid state IFs & decoder, and valve deflection circuits. They came into being in the early 1970s (71/72 to be precise) but don't count as "first sets" though as they were not a commercial build. TISCO bought a number of deflection and decoder kits and most of the main branches of TISCO got one to build. Ours was up and running early 1973 but had a decoder problem to be sorted and I was off to London before it was finally completed.

They were all dumped in the end no doubt, unless a tech somewhere squirreled one away for posterity. Keep your eyes open for one, I still have all the manuals etc here somewhere!

Cheers

Billy
Old 16th May 2011, 11:44 pm   #33
GLENZ32
Hexode

Far out I never knew about these NZ hybird sets exisiting in the 1970's... I would love to find one of them but like you said unless some tech held onto one, the chances of finding any are like hens teeth

Last edited by Dave Moll; 17th May 2011 at 12:39 pm. Reason: unnecessary full quote of preceding post removed
Closed Thread