UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2009, 7:58 pm   #1
yesnaby
Octode

Default Pye 114BQ case cleaning

Hello,

I have 2x Pye 114BQ battery radios plus a bigger mains/battery model.

What is the best way to clean/mend/stick back the rexine (?) on these radios? I read about using Jif, but will this remove the colour (blue/grey)? And do they have to be rinsed and possibly sprayed with something afterwards?

Sorry all this is a bit vague, and I have a feeling this sort of thing has been covered before.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pyep114a.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	24559  
Old 12th Apr 2009, 11:01 pm   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye 114BQ case cleaning

Well I would use warm soapy water carefully scrub it with a nailbrush or tooth brush .Not getting it too wet or any wet into lose areas and cracks if possible . Others on here use foam cleaner ,which I have yet to try .
I have glued rexine back down with either PVA or contact adhesive in the past .
If the cabinet has been cleaned and is dry , and needs no further work ,I have then buffed them up in the past with light application of wax polish . I have read somewhere on here of using danish oil on rexine ! But I have not tried that ,and would be cautious about that .
Old 13th Apr 2009, 2:43 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The warm, soapy water method is best.

Foam cleaner is ok if sprayed on and allowed to run off on its own accord and then the cabinet wiped with a damp cloth afterwards. It will remove colour if scrubbed/wiped whilst still active though.

Danish oil is fine on rexine, don't worry about it. Used it myself only yesterday on two Roberts sets. Takes a day or two for the smell to disperse though.
Old 13th Apr 2009, 11:05 pm   #4
Tim
Dekatron

Shoe cream comes in various colours, some of which are a close match to many radios. May be worth checking out.
Old 14th Apr 2009, 9:42 am   #5
yesnaby
Octode

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the ideas, I will have a go soon. Might test on the worst one of the three radios first to see how it goes.

The handles are also a bit past it, I read somewhere on the forum that you could get replacement ones of varying lengths, so that might be another option.

Michael
Closed Thread