UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2012, 4:46 pm   #1
worcesterdave
Retired Dormant Member

Default Trimphone dial problem.

I have just converted a Trimphone but I have a problem when dialling out on it. I start to dial and it set on of my other telephones in the household ringing.

I have 3 other telephones in the household 2 connected to the NTE5 box ( 1 modern and one converted 300 series)and 1 connected to an extension (modern). The total REN of all the telephones is less than 4.

If I disconnect the modern telephone from the NTE5 socket the Trimphone rings out correctly and causes no interference with the other telephones.

I have converted countless 700 and 300 series telephones and never had this problem.

The Trimphone has a 3.3K resistor fitted to reduce it's REN to approx 1
Old 16th Jun 2012, 5:13 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Trimphone dial problem.

Hi,
When you say ringing, are you referring to what is known as Bell tinkle, or is one of your other phones ringing in a fashion similar to when an incoming call arrives?

If your problem is Bell tinkle, which I suspect it is, is the tinkling phone connected to your line via an ADSL filter? - if so this will cause the phone in question to act as a two-wire device and give rise to bell tinkle.

Some combinations of phone/filter and calling device (i.e. Bell or Tone Caller) can aggravate this symptom.

If you problem is that of the phone ringing continuously during dialing you have a wiring fault somewhere between your extension sockets and NTP

Regards
Andrew
Old 16th Jun 2012, 8:35 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

See here for details of how to cure bell tinkle: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83570
Old 16th Jun 2012, 11:22 pm   #4
worcesterdave
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Nick,

It does cause bell tinkle but the main problem is that it actually causes the other telephone to ring as if there is an incoming telephone call.

I do not believe that there is a wiring problem with the extension socket since I have never had this problem before. The extension is for my 'work desk' that I have used in the past and have converted probably in excess of 20 different vintage telephones (300, 200, 700 series) without this problem.

My NTE5 box and two extension boxes all have ADSL filters.

The telephone that is ringing erroneously is connected to the NTE5 box via a splitter (ADSL filter plugged in-between splitter and NTE5 box) which also connects a 300 series telephone so quite a mish mash of combinations I admit.
Old 17th Jun 2012, 10:48 am   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by worcesterdave View Post
.... it actually causes the other telephone to ring as if there is an incoming telephone call.....
Hi,
I guess that this will be continuous ringing or at the very least a "continuous" ring in time with the dial pulse string.
This does suggest a wiring fault somewhere but as you mention there is a mish - mosh of ADSL filters etc. the first thing I would pounce on is the filter associated with the phone that is ringing during dialing out.

Usually this sort of problem is caused by the line voltage being transferred to the bell/anti - tinkle wire (line jack terminal 3, Blue of the line cord or Orange/White of the extension wiring, presuming standard colours) which is generally as a result of the 'A' leg becoming disconnected somewhere in the wiring path.

Regards

Andrew
Old 17th Jun 2012, 1:17 pm   #6
worcesterdave
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andrew.

Sorry, I called you Nick before for some reason!

I'll try swapping around my ADSL filters and or temporarily removing the one to which the ringing phone is connected. I'll let you know how i get on.

I usually sell my telephones on Ebay but I quite like the Trimphone I have converted so I may end up keeping it!

Regards

David
Old 17th Jun 2012, 3:10 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Nick has also contributed to this thread!

To be fair once you solve you ringing/tinkling issue you will be lucky if any other phones ring on an incoming call with the Trimphone plugged in to the line as, in my experience, they tend to be very ring current hungry; even with the 3k3 resistor fitted to reduce the REN to 1!

Good luck

Andrew
Old 17th Jun 2012, 6:49 pm   #8
worcesterdave
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Nick and Andy.

That's useful info regarding the Trimphone and may explain why it causes a problem that my other telephones do not.

Neat design though.
I may have to try and get one of the later push button ones for my own collection.

Presumably the push button are tone diallers as opposed to pulse?

Sorry supplementary question!

Regards

David
Old 17th Jun 2012, 8:15 pm   #9
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
There are three basic types of Trimphone, the standard dial model and two push button models one of which uses pulse dialing and the other tone dialing - the tone dialing ones are obtainable but I don't think that there were as many produced as the other types.

More information can be found here and here

Andrew
Old 17th Jun 2012, 8:22 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

... and for the DTMF version, see here.