UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2009, 10:44 am   #1
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Rola 77 - progress and caps

Recently I've been working on the second of three Ferrographs. Its almost ready, just waiting on a couple of caps from the NZVRS, so today I put it aside and, despite my better judgement, had a 'quick 5 minute' look at future job, my Rola 77 mk III.

Of course I can never spend just five minutes looking at an interesting project

So far I have been very fortunate. The Rola was a freebie I picked up with Ferrograph #3 (which I paid too much for), but the spool control had been removed and I had no idea what was needed. Tim in Perth (TIMTAPE) tracked down a service manual, and I found that it was a 50(!) watt, 3k rheostat with the two spool motors at either end and the feed on the wiper. Not the kind of thing you just grab from Jaycar or Dick Smith!

Next bit of good fortune - a guy in Te Puke had one spare!

Anyway today I opened up the amp and deck to see what was in store. The unit was made in 1964, and full of mustard caps. A handful of electrolytics, although on closer inspection I noticed a number were on the bottom of the tag strips. Will make things interesting - my preference is always to do as little as possible

As you'll see from the photos this is quite a bit ahead of Ferrographs of the same era. Solenoid control, no pressure pads, the spooling control etc. That also means its more complex - I really hope there are no dramas with it, especially with the logic on the deck!

Two cap related queries on this:
1. There are some "Microcap type W43" 0.5u 200V caps on the deck. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they reliable or should I change them.
2. It has three Ducon paper motor run caps. My inclination with these is to suck it and see - so far two of the three Ferrographs have worked fine with paper motor start caps about 8 years older than these. Does this sound like a good idea?

I've attached photos of the nice Aussie present of hidden caps, the Microcaps and the Ducon paper cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rola03.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	22770   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola08.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	22771   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola06.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	22772  
Old 31st Jan 2009, 10:46 am   #2
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Rola 77 - progress and caps

Here are some views of the amp and deck. And a messy workbench
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rola01.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	22773   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola02.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	22774   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola04.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	22775   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola05.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	22776  
Old 31st Jan 2009, 10:49 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

And now the spool control - on its own, installed, and the deck complete again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rola09.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	22777   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola10.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	22778   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola11.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	22779   Click image for larger version

Name:	rola12.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	22780  
Old 31st Jan 2009, 11:01 am   #4
jjl
Octode

The Microcap capacitors appear to be of similar construction to Hunts Moldseal types that most UK repairers will be familiar with and that are typically replaced on sight. I'd at least replace the one that has a crack at one end, if you don't want to change them all it would be worthwhile testing them for leakage at working voltage.

John
Old 31st Jan 2009, 11:29 am   #5
arjoll
Dekatron

I hadn't even noticed the crack! They'll be getting replaced first off then

Strange that they used these when they used mustard caps in the rest of the unit - maybe a size issue.
Old 13th Feb 2009, 9:25 pm   #6
ragged_
Retired Dormant Member

Glad that spool control was useful to you. If you need any other parts let me know.

Cheers.
Old 14th Feb 2009, 10:53 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

nice looking kit - direct drive 3 motors, 3 heads. is the pinch roller in good nick?
Old 15th Feb 2009, 8:19 am   #8
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged_ View Post
Glad that spool control was useful to you. If you need any other parts let me know.
Certainly useful (once I worked out the wiring - this unit had different coloured wiring!) - its taken me a while to do it though

Everything else looks pretty much complete. I've grabbed some of the caps I need, will need to grab some more electros from NZVRS (cheaper than Jaycar or Tradetech and being axial is handy!).

I have to get some SORD floppy drives working properly first though, so the Rola has been pushed back in the queue again. May be another month or so until I get a chance to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
nice looking kit - direct drive 3 motors, 3 heads. is the pinch roller in good nick?
The pinch roller seems ok - a little hard - but the guide roller at the bottom of the head block (take up side) is dry and cracked. I'll give it a recap first and see how the electronics are looking before worrying too much more about the mechanical side (not really an area I'm good at!).
Old 15th Feb 2009, 8:25 am   #9
arjoll
Dekatron

Forgot to mention earlier - after posting the photos and doing some more digging I worked what the mod that the NZBS did in the mid 60's was.

Looking at the photo of the back of the deck in post #2, you'll see a vertical board behind the supply reel motor (right of the photo) with a number of relays and large male multipole connector. This seems to be a remote control mod - the relays are wired into the standard remote control connector. I'll leave it in place at the moment - easiest not to try undoing something like that with no notes on why/how it was done!
Closed Thread