UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2021, 10:22 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Black and Decker Hover Mower.

Any lawn mower experts out there .My hover mower could do with a new front end bearing but i have no idea how to get it out
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 11:01 am   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Black and Decker Hover Mower.

Hope you get it fixed, would be a shame to turf it out.
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 1:23 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Kirstyd, can you be more specific about the model number? It only took a few moments of searching to find exploded diagrams of numerous Black and Decker hover mowers - which in themselves will not necessarily tell you how to get the thing off - but having the right model number could lead to more precise information.

Have a look on Youtube and see if anyone has already demonstrated how to do it. Often worth a try.
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 6:46 pm   #4
factory
Octode

Do they actually have a separate bearing under the motor?
The last mower I took apart had most of the screw holes clogged with dried out grass & dirt, the fasteners were badly rusted too.

David
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 8:43 pm   #5
kirstyd
Heptode

its a GX250 H1 .I have seen those exploded diagrams but they are not much help. I have taken the motor apart but the front end housing [made from plastic]along with the bearing will not come off .I don't think i would have a problem getting a bearing .I have just tried one from a Kirby vac on the shaft and it fits all i need to do is get the old one off without damaging the plastic housing .Today i removed the rubber seal from the bearing and packed it with grease .It has freed up nicely but its rumbling a bit .might as well replace it while the thing is in bits
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210702_191852903[1].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	236961   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210702_191746445[1].jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	236962  
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 2:57 am   #6
Andrew B
Heptode

Bearings are all a "standard" off the shelf size. All you need are the dimensions and you can get one from any transmission house, there are the other spec "RR" means a rubber seal both sides, "ZZ" means a metal seal both sides. You may be lucky and see the 6 figure number etched into the old outer race. Myself, I would replace both bearings and save tears later on. Take note that these lawnmower people LOVE using left hand threads on stuff.

I use Spen bearings, who are just down the road from me (no promotion intended).

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew B; 3rd Jul 2021 at 3:05 am.
Old 3rd Jul 2021, 4:25 pm   #7
G6ONEDave
Octode

I agree the plastic end section could well have a left hand thread inside it. If not then you will need a bearing puller, which might well be needed to remove the bearings from the motor shaft at each end. Should be easy enough to do but you need to be careful not to damage any of the armature windings, so don't over tighten it in a bench vice. Likewise try not to damage the motor shaft either, which typically happens when being gripped with a mole wrench. A mole wrench gripping the plastic possibly with cloth wrapped between the plastic and grips, whilst holding the armature in your other hand should work. Remember probably anti clock thread, so turn the plastic clockwise to unscrew it.

Dave
Old 4th Jul 2021, 10:44 pm   #8
kirstyd
Heptode

The white plastic part is not the problem [I put it on to protect the threads on the shaft] I can't remove the bearing from the plastic housing until I get the armature out of the actual bearing. It obviously comes out through the front as the hole in the plastic housing is smaller on the inside. The bearing has been soaking in WD all night it still won't budge. I have even tried [as much as I dare] heating the shaft with a hot air gun still nothing.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 12:09 pm   #9
Andrew B
Heptode

Manufacture ?? a small puller that will fit through the holes and over the bearing. I don't think these things were made to repair, good luck with your persistance and determination.

Andrew
Old 5th Jul 2021, 12:24 pm   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Something like a windscreen wiper puller may do the trick, like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windscreen-.../dp/B07GB126RM

No particular recommendation of the model or seller, just the first one I found similar to one I already have.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 1:16 pm   #11
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Manufacture ?? a small puller that will fit through the holes and over the bearing. I don't think these things were made to repair, good luck with your persistance and determination.
yes i was thinking along those lines .I'm sure i can coble something together
Old 5th Jul 2021, 1:18 pm   #12
kirstyd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Something like a windscreen wiper puller may do the trick, like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windscreen-.../dp/B07GB126RM

No particular recommendation of the model or seller, just the first one I found similar to one I already have.
cheers for that .one way or another its coming off.
Closed Thread