UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2017, 10:47 am   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Fran Blanche (again)

Fran Blanche has just launched another interesting youtube video.

She was offered the pick of large amounts of gear from a closing uni.lab, but it didn't go quite as she had hoped. She did bag a couple of uber rare NIMO tubes and a rare dot matrix numeric display unit.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 12:56 pm   #2
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Re: Fran Blanche (again)

I thought the second box of rack screws was rather weird!
Old 15th Dec 2017, 3:09 pm   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

There was some nice transformers there and other bits and bobs. i was confused by some of the comments which the gist was - Fran was commenting on the stuff EG how rare, value etc, big mistake, keep your gob shut, etc, the Uni then flogged/kept said good stuff and Fran was left with only a fraction of the stuff.

I'll admit I skipped through bits, but at the end she shows a room full of stuff and I can't find any comment in the video where she says she was gypped. So I'm confused, which isn't an uncommon situation. Anyone elucidate?

Andy.
Old 15th Dec 2017, 6:23 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

It looked to me that she was unaware there was going to be plunder the same or the following day; she seemed under the impression she had 3-4 days to have the pick of the parts, for research, usage or redistribution.

I say plunder partly because the neatly arranged books had all been pulled out and were in a heap on the floor...The overall impression (to me) was her knowledge may have been used to assess and sell pieces. It is also of course possible that there were extended conversations beyond the 34 minute video that we are not aware of (it must have been difficult to assess the full situation while trying to film!)

Well at least it's better than it all being skipped anyhow.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 8:06 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks for the clarification.

"Well at least it's better than it all being skipped anyhow." Yep, that's the main point, uni's and colleges throw tons of good stuff away.

Andy.