UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2015, 6:41 pm   #21
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Constructor

Fantastic effort Jim, for which, many thanks.

A wonderful trip down memory lane for me!

Back in 1970 I started to get all the bits together to build the 'Discovery' short-wave receiver - a two-valve four-stage design which used and ECL82 and ECC83 (in pre audio-phool days), which featured in the March 1970 issue. I started to do the metalwork, then due to career and family demands, the project stalled. I was then offered an 'as new' Trio 9R59DE, on which I did the modifications later outlined in three issues of Radio Constructor, so the need for a homebrew short-wave receiver diminshed. Various house moves got in the way, and to cut a long story short, I've still got the bits up in the loft on my 'to do list'. Crikey - where did those 45 years go?!!

Lurking in one issue in the early 1960s will be the valved baby alarm that I built to monitor our new-born son. It worked well and came in handy again when his younger brother was born.

They're now aged 51 and 47! (When they chuckle at my limited computing skills and for not using a smart-phone, I remind them who taught them how to use a spoon).
Old 27th Aug 2015, 4:44 am   #22
radiodavid
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jobe View Post
As of today all of the small format RCs are on the website, i.e. up to July 1961.
Many thanks to Dave Teague for filling in the last few gaps

Jim gets my vote for his exhaustive (and probably exhausting) scanning. The Radio Constructor page is almost 100% built with contributed scans from Jim and several other collectors in the UK. I'm just happy I can make the server space available to allow these wonderful magazines to be shared and preserved.
Old 6th Oct 2015, 11:08 am   #23
jim_jobe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Jim, I'm particularly interested in the series from 1970/1971 that used tons of bistables etc., to produce a clock display on three panel meters - I'd like to build this for my Dad who's interested in horology - could you upload this series when you get a chance please?
Chris,
I've located the Clock Article (Dec. 1967 - March 1968) and will scan those issues soon. Things are still a bit hectic at the moment!
Jim
Old 24th Oct 2015, 10:35 am   #24
jim_jobe
Heptode

All of RC 1967 is now on the website and I'm working on 1968. I've also sent a 1937 May 8th Practical Wireless to David which should be there in a few days time.
Jim
Old 25th Oct 2015, 11:01 am   #25
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Great work on the website Jim.

I've just unearthed half a dozen magazines from the 1930s. Five are entitled 'Wireless Magazine, published by Bernard Jones Publishing, Fetter Lance, London, who also published 'Amateur Wireless'. The issues are March 1931, August, October, December 1933, and February 1934. There is also May 1935 'Wireless & Television Review' (Vol 1, Issue No 6), with a 'Special Television Section', published by Amalgamated Press, Fleetway House, Farringdon St, London.

I don't know if these are of any interest to you for scanning - I'd rather they end up scanned on a website than to simply be kept by an individual.

The front covers are a fascinating snapshot of the era: 'The James Super 60 can be built for £12.00', which equates to £600 today, so not quite the bargain basement price that it appears to be at first sight. Another cover mentions the free guide inside (sadly missing) entitled 'Choosing your new radio - 150 sets, with prices at a glance'. Really, a ludicrous proliferation of sets, many of which will differ little from each other. Probably more sets than there are laptops/tablets/smartphones today.

Please let me know if these are of any interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wireless Magazines 1930s.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	114680  
Old 26th Oct 2015, 10:50 am   #26
jim_jobe
Heptode

Sounds great David. Many thanks! I've sent you a PM,
Jim
M0JBJ
Old 13th Nov 2015, 10:52 pm   #27
jim_jobe
Heptode

!966 and 68 (except Jan.68) are now up and running and I'm now scanning 1965.
Jim
Old 13th Nov 2015, 11:37 pm   #28
whyperion
Hexode

Dont forget for cover and contents scans to upload to the magazines pages of 45worlds.com if you have the time, link backs from there to any detail scan webpages are permitted.
Old 16th Nov 2015, 11:05 pm   #29
jim_jobe
Heptode

I'll do that when I have a moment. Cheers.
Jim
Old 25th Nov 2015, 11:18 am   #30
jim_jobe
Heptode

1965 is now on the website thanks to David.
Old 6th Dec 2015, 12:47 pm   #31
jim_jobe
Heptode

1969 is now complete.
Old 7th Dec 2015, 9:42 am   #32
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Jim, I've just unearthed Oct, Nov, Dec 1964 and Dec 1973.

If I'm right, there are no 1964 RCs on the site, and only Jan/Feb 1973.

You're welcome to these for scanning and adding to the site if that's helpful. (I don't need them back).
Old 7th Dec 2015, 12:41 pm   #33
jim_jobe
Heptode

That's very kind of you again David but I think I have those. At the moment my RC collection is in the attic and I cannot actually go in there without risking life and limb as everything is piled around the entrance!!! So what I'm doing is groping around until I find a bagful and then scanning those - not in any year order however! I think I have all of the rest except, possibly, Jan 1968 and Feb 1974 (the latter contains the only contribution made to them by yours truly!).
Many thanks,
Jim
Old 7th Dec 2015, 5:38 pm   #34
David G4EBT
Dekatron

No probs Jim - good luck in your scanning endeavours!

You must really have your work cut out - wonderful that they're being preserved in an archive.

Really, I ought not to keep reading them because as often as not, I find a little project that interests me, realise I have all the bits, then launch into it and get diverted from other projects! Presently, it's a Transformer Ratio Analyser from Nov 1974 R&EC that caught my eye. Just a circuit, so I've designed a tag-board and front panel for it, and when it's finished (assuming that it works!), I'll start a thread in the Homebrew Section.

I've spent many a happy hour reading the long-running 'Suggested Circuits' series by G.A. French, and the prolific articles by the late Sir Douglas Hall.
Old 7th Dec 2015, 6:15 pm   #35
jim_jobe
Heptode

Yes, I saw that one. The problem with me is that I'm a virtual constructor: I see a good circuit and have to build it - but just in my head 99 times out of a hundred." I have to have all the bits though!
Did you know that G.A.French was a pseudonym of J.R.Davies as was W.G.Morley and Caborn (I'm pretty sure). I think the later "Recorder" was written by him too. Some issues of RC were practically all written by him, including of course "In Your Workshop"
Doug Hall was amazing too. He was Governor of British Somaliland at one stage as well.
Jim
Old 5th Feb 2016, 1:39 pm   #36
terrybull
Octode

May I point out that RC Jan 1980 is a huge file, much larger than the rest.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 9:06 pm   #37
kalee20
Dekatron

I'm really looking forward some day to read the obituary for JR Davies, I think in the May 1980 RC. He was a brilliant writer and I learned a lot from Dick and Smithy.
Old 15th Feb 2016, 1:28 pm   #38
jim_jobe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybull View Post
So it is Terry; 52.1Mb. That was the size of the file which I sent to David and is in line with all the others I've sent but David usually compresses these before they go on line. Why this one is different I don't know but I'll mention it when I email him next. 1963 is now complete as is 1974 bar September which I can't find at the moment. I've started 1975 and they should be finished in about a week's time. Have you noticed all the extra PWs that have appeared on the website by the way? Someone has been very busy there (not me!)! I still have a few 1946 copies to add and I'll do those soon.
Jim
Old 15th Feb 2016, 1:32 pm   #39
jim_jobe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
I'm really looking forward some day to read the obituary for JR Davies, I think in the May 1980 RC. He was a brilliant writer and I learned a lot from Dick and Smithy.
He was a brilliant writer indeed and some RCs are almost entirely written by him under his various aliases such as R.J Caborn, G.A.French, the later "Recorders", and many more. The obituary was in one of the last "In Your Workshops" but wasn't very comprehensive, more's the pity, and RC ceased to be very soon after his death.
Jim
Old 16th Feb 2016, 12:09 am   #40
radiodavid
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_jobe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybull View Post
So it is Terry; 52.1Mb. That was the size of the file which I sent to David and is in line with all the others I've sent but David usually compresses these before they go on line.
Jim
This was entirely my error. The file is now compressed into a neatly downloadable size.
Closed Thread