UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2012, 9:52 pm   #1
adrian41uk
Retired Dormant Member

Default BT Revelation 3+9 PABX

Split from this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78872

I bought a Revelation 3+9 to replace the ultimate (we've got a Revelation 4+12 at home, so I thought it would the obvious choice), however all is not well.

I've connected it up on the dining room table with a known good system phone on Ext 20. CCU seems to power up (PF relays can be heard to change state after a second or so) but the system phone doesn't come to life.

Sometimes, the systemphone will flash some of the LEDs (almost as if its trying to give me an error code?). Reversing the connections on C and D makes no difference.

If I use a 'normal' phone on Ext 20 then you can hear sidetone, so the unit is obviously powered, but there is no dialtone.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Adrian

Last edited by AC/HL; 8th Apr 2015 at 12:13 pm. Reason: Thread split
Old 18th Jan 2012, 11:36 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: BT Ultimate 106 PABX

Hi,
The default setting on the Revelation is that no internal or external dial tone is returned to the telephones, you should still be able to dial out to the the extensions (number range 21 to 32 on a 4+12 fully commissioned system) or the exchange by selecting 9, or 5x for exclusive line access, and inputting your digit string.

It's essential to have at least one system phone to program these PBX's, it sounds like you may have a faulty system phone though from the description of your fault. Are you using a line Jack with ringing capacitor, as you should, for the system phone?

I have just realised that you say the system phone is a known working one, what terminals on the line jack are you connecting the data pair, usually green, to?

Regards

Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 18th Jan 2012 at 11:38 pm. Reason: correction about system phone
Old 19th Jan 2012, 5:59 pm   #3
adrian41uk
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andrew,

Didn't know about the default being no dialtone, however, dialing 22 doesn't produce ring tone, just still sidetone.

Yes, SystemPhone is known to be working, tested before use with the new CCU and checked again after. Also tried a different SystemPhone in case there was some silly 'different firmware in the phone' issue.

Conections. Data pair is grees connected to C and D on the CCU, 1 and 6 on the line jack, voice pair are A and B on the CCU, 2 and 5 on the line jack. Tried swapping 1 and 6 over, but no change, tried swapping 2 and 5 over - no change.

Tried a new line jack (yes, it is a master with bell cap and resistor).

The only thing I haven't changed is the cable between the CCU and line jack, although this is a new length of cable straight off the drum, but ready to clutch at those straws now!

Thanks for your help

Adrian

Last edited by Station X; 19th Jan 2012 at 7:35 pm. Reason: Demorsed.
Old 19th Jan 2012, 7:55 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Another thought on your Revelation is that it may have been re-programmed at some point so that extension 20 is not the default programming position, you will only find this out by trail and error connecting your system phone to each of the other extension positions in turn. It could well be that extension 20 has been decommissioned for some reason (although I am not sure if this is possible).

Take a look here for some further information on programming

Andrew
Old 19th Jan 2012, 8:30 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

Is the clock displaying correctly on the systemphone?
Old 19th Jan 2012, 11:52 pm   #6
adrian41uk
Retired Dormant Member

HI Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion (I'll give it a go tomorrow evening, my daughter has been treading the boards in AmDram tonite).

McMurdo - the LCD is blank. No life from the system phone except sometimes it will flash the busy lamps in a repeatable pattern. Is it trying to give an error code?

Thanks for your help guys.

Adrian
Old 20th Jan 2012, 9:05 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

If the clock is blank then the CPU has probably crashed, possibly due to corrupt ram. This can cause random flashing of the LED bank. Try a system reset.
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 8:54 pm   #8
adrian41uk
Retired Dormant Member

McMurdo,

The LCD is completely blank. No dialtone is heard from a known good system phone, but sidetone is heard when I use a standard telephone.

Trying a system reset by dialing 76517 99 does nothing ..... although DTMF codes are produced they dont seem to be recognised.

Is there a way to do a hardware reset by shorting links on the PCB?

Thanks for your time.

Adrian
Old 12th Jun 2012, 5:25 pm   #9
boombox
Pentode

Did you get this resolved? Is there a way to do a hardware reset?

Thanks
Old 16th Jun 2012, 7:39 pm   #10
adrian41uk
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

No, I didnt manage to get the Revelation sorted..... after a few hours of trying various things, I sent it back to the Ebay vendor from which it came & he gave me a full refund.

I've subsequently bought another revelation which booted Ok and has been giving great service at the nursery...

Adrian
Closed Thread