UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2012, 9:23 pm   #1
westcliff
Hexode

Firstly, I hope this thing is sufficiently vintage to be included in this part of the forum. If not, my apologies and can a moderator please move it to a more appropriate location?

I have an old Marconi Marine satellite phone, made in Chelmsford. It is very heavy and is fitted in a hard Delsey attache case. I do not have the user manual.

I wonder if these things are still of use, or are they landfill? Anyone know much about them?

Thanks.

Gus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	other things 016.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	68464   Click image for larger version

Name:	other things 017.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	68465  
Old 11th Jul 2012, 12:05 pm   #2
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Re: Marconi Marine satellite phone

Looks like an M-phone, early-to-mid 90s?

I'm not sure if Inmarsat M services are still operating, but there are much smaller, versatile technologies about. I think M is just phone and fax services, and most users now expect High Speed Data and IP capabilities. There are now handheld units that are as convenient as a pocket GSM phone.

Like any electronic device, I don't think landfill is the way to go. But where else? Satellite phones are used by charities and disaster agencies around the world, but I think it's too old (if working) to be accepted as a donation.

Could they eventually be as collectable as the Spy Suitcase radios of the past?
Old 11th Jul 2012, 12:49 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi Marine satellite phone

I would have thought there are one or two collectors out there who would like this, so it would be worth eBaying it rather than throwing it away.

Certainly, some analogue mobile phones still seem to be wanted by a few people, even though they're not usable any more.

Nick.
Closed Thread