UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2012, 12:59 pm   #1
Kernow666
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with wiring some old phones

Hello everyone

I have inherited some old dial phones and was wanting to convert them so I can use them around the house

The first one has - red white green wires coming out into a rectangle junction box

The second one has - red white blue green wires coming out with a large ( like a headphone jack ) plug on the end

The third one has - white brown blue red wires coming out and has black plastic plug on the end

Just wanting to know of this is a straightforward wire job

I have a wire with BT plug on end and colours are black white red yellow

Hopefully someone can answer my question for me

Kind regards

Christopher
Old 19th Jun 2012, 1:01 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Help with wiring some old phones

It would help if you could tell us what model phones you have. It should be mmarked on the base plate, something like 706F or 332.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Jun 2012, 1:33 pm   #3
Kernow666
Retired Dormant Member

Ok sorry about that

Phone 1 - GEC Tel/10k/ATT

Phone 2 - GEC Tel/2k/ATT

Phone 3 - Telart viareggio ( think its Spanish or Italian )

Hope this helps
Old 19th Jun 2012, 1:48 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

Unfortunately, converting phones to plug-and-socket operation is not quite as simple as matching wire colours. Sometimes the phone circuit needs modifying slightly, to reduce the ringing current and/or to use an external capacitor to separate the AC ringing and DC speech circuits. (The good news is, this vary rarely requires any soldering). So we really need pictures.

Also, the colour coding for BT plug leads is anything but standardised. Can you see what order the wires go in, starting from the "latch" end of the BT plug? You should be able to see the inner insulation through the slot just behind the gold contacts, though you may need a bright light and a magnifying glass.

It's generally better to provide too much information than not enough. At least we can ignore something we didn't need.
Old 19th Jun 2012, 3:50 pm   #5
mkmagna
Retired Dormant Member

The TEL/2K & TEL/10K are externally similar to the standard GPO 706 introduced in 1959.

This is a good place to start for rewiring and to identify the differences between your GEC models and the standard 706:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t706.htm

This link shows the GEC models in detail:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/tel2k.htm
Closed Thread