UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2021, 7:14 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Useful projects, repair articles and circuit diagrams?

Hi!

I've had another polite enquiry in my inbox about the Revox B77 series VU meter repair, and it has set me thinking about why so many useful projects, repair articles and general circuit diagrams/service manuals disappear from the internet over the years!

Copyright trolls? Commercial interests demanding their removal? People unwilling to share details?

Opinions?

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 18th Jul 2021 at 7:25 pm.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 7:40 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Useful projects, repair articles and circuit diagrams?

Part of me thinks that it's because the original poster's website gets discontinued because they lose interest/they die/their hosting-company goes-bust.

The "Wayback Machine" and "Internet Archive" are worth learning how to drive if you want to recover old articles.

In the 80s and 90s I posted a lot of 'useful stuff' to the INFO-HAMS mail/digest group which was then run out of a bunch of BITNET servers [BLEKUL11 and TAUNIVM] and proxied to the 'Internet' [which back then was a bunch of uucp-nodes and army.mil.wsmr-simtel20] - it seems that most of this has vanished into oblivion.
Old 19th Jul 2021, 12:11 am   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

I wonder if a factor is changes to search engine algorithms making retrieval difficult? More than a decade ago I did a search for a book (Radium and other Radioactive Elements) using its title, that I had read a review of in a facsimilie volume of "The Model Engineer" for 1904. Google found a PDF copy available for free download from an American university library. When I repeated the search a couple of years ago, google only found links to facsimile edtions for purchase at around £15. I had saved the URL from the original search, and typing it in did get me to the US site, with its PDF of the original still available for free download. That was a few years ago, and searching google just now still only found the paid for facsimile hard copies. The URL to the PDF is on my old computer so I haven't checked if that is still valid.

Didn't a Japanese comany only issue its service manuals on DVD with embedded date codes that meant they would no longer work after a certain date?

Last edited by emeritus; 19th Jul 2021 at 12:18 am. Reason: typos
Old 19th Jul 2021, 8:29 am   #4
FIXITNOW
Octode

I have a tendency to grab a copy off anything I feel I will need while running around the web as sites do sometimes disappear/change hands, even if I have to cut copy and paste to a word doc or similar. But there is only so much you can keep.

I also scan what I can and upload to various sites, including sites outside the UK.
Old 19th Jul 2021, 8:43 am   #5
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I wonder if a factor is changes to search engine algorithms making retrieval difficult?
I suspect that you are right. It is worth checking for unusual stuff using alternate search engines - although you get nowhere of course if the 'alternate' happens to depend upon google! I seem to recall an excellent search site which suddenly vanished after the twin towers destruction and often wondered if it was housed there.
Closed Thread