UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2019, 4:59 pm   #1
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aiwa AX7600 vr problems

Just got this tuner amp off a mate and want to repair it. I found a relay that needed reflowing and it worked ok but there was noise on the balance and volume pots. They were made by Alps. The balance has two sections with 3 terminals each. part number 24866170 50k ohm
The Volume control is part number 24896160 100k with two sections 4 tterminals each.
Any suggestions for replacements?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ax-7600.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	181840  

Last edited by humphrey; 25th Apr 2019 at 5:28 pm.
Old 25th Apr 2019, 6:02 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Aiwa AX7600 vr problems

A good squirt of Servisol will probably get them working properly.
Old 25th Apr 2019, 6:28 pm   #3
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Now I have the board out, I would like to try something more permanent but I might try your suggestion if I can't find replacements.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 6:47 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Highly unlikely to find replacements unless you get custom pots made by Blore Edwards, a squirt or if that fails dismantle and clean and they should be fine.

Andy.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 9:34 am   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If they're used as board mounts it gets a bit more difficult to replace with anything but identical parts. In any case, the four terminal volume (loudness) pots might have to become simple three terminal volume controls.

You could find smaller pots with the same bushing and fabricate brackets from steel or brass shim to mount them to the PCB with the bushings in the same relative positions to the board and free wire the connections....

Depends on what you're up for I guess.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Apr 2019, 10:00 am   #6
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

I found the identical 4 pin one on ebay but still looking for the 50 Ko-N Would that be linear? Also, how does a 4 pin vr work and can it be used instead? I tried looking for a double pot 50k and while they have 6 pins, don't look similar.

Last edited by humphrey; 26th Apr 2019 at 10:26 am.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 1:15 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

The fourth pin goes to a fixed tap on the resistive track and will be connected into some sort of RC network. The effect in operation is that bass is boosted at lower volume levels which is supposed to compensate for the ear's response at low sound levels.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Apr 2019, 1:39 pm   #8
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Would this one work as it has a centre detent for the balance?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPS-RK27...QAAOxy~dNTIj7Z
Old 26th Apr 2019, 8:44 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

That's seriously expensive! It might just make sense if it were a drop in fit, but otherwise.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 26th Apr 2019, 10:21 pm   #10
vidjoman
Dekatron

Those pots rarely fail completely unless there is a problem with leaky caps putting DC voltage on them. It's pointless to replace unless you can confirm that it has broken. They are easy to clean and that is most likely all that is needed. Mostly due to lack of use over time and slight tarnishing has set in. Don't waste your money on a replacement until you try cleaning etc.
Old 3rd May 2019, 8:37 pm   #11
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

I can only find larger versions of the originals, so may have to fix them sideways and wire then to the pcb. Does it make much difference if they are lin or log?
Old 3rd May 2019, 9:38 pm   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Generally speaking, Volume controls are Log (Logarithmic), Tone and Balance Controls are Linear. On Japanese pots the 'law' (Log. or Lin.) is usually indicated by an 'A' or 'B' after the resistance value, but I admit I can't remember which is which. However, as vidjoman says, the pots seldom need replacing, as cleaning restores normal, quiet, operation in 95% of cases. A squirt of servisol (or deoxit) into the body of the pot. is usually all it needs to quieten most noisy controls.
Old 4th May 2019, 9:23 am   #13
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

I would rather change them as it is a difficult access but willing to try cleaning. I really need to test them before re installing. Any ideas for a testing circuit so I can check them individually? I have a Telequip Serviscope minor if it helps.
Old 4th May 2019, 9:45 am   #14
vidjoman
Dekatron

If you were to find suitable replacements - they would probably be 'old stock' and may well be as old as you have already in the player. They could be just as tarnished and noisy when rotated and still need cleaning with Servisol.
You already have a testing circuit - it's the player.
Old 4th May 2019, 11:56 am   #15
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Agreed, but putting it back to test it will take a long time due to the number of plugs coming off the board.
Old 4th May 2019, 1:59 pm   #16
vidjoman
Dekatron

On the only internal picture I can find it looks easy to give a squirt Servisol or similar into the controls without taking it apart.
I don’t think you will be able to mount any other control ‘sideways’ as it’s the controls that hold the circuit board in place.

You seem to have created a mountain of work to do what would normally be a 10 minute job.
Old 4th May 2019, 3:04 pm   #17
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

Ok then, I will give it a squirt and see what happens. It aint going anywhere at the moment and parts are hard to find. I have a can of Loctite 7039 which I suppose is the sme stuff.
Old 4th May 2019, 5:09 pm   #18
Silvered_Mica
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphrey View Post
I would rather change them as it is a difficult access but willing to try cleaning. I really need to test them before re installing. Any ideas for a testing circuit so I can check them individually? I have a Telequip Serviscope minor if it helps.
I normally use my analogue Avo 8 multimeter for testing pots, the needle should move nice and smooth up and down without any erratic movement.
Also check the rivets that hold the pins, these sometimes get a bit lose and when this happens I just give them a little pinch with long nose pliers.

I would agree with other post here it's not necessary to change out this type of pot as they are very serviceable unless you have one with a cracked track then it will need changing.
Old 5th May 2019, 3:37 pm   #19
humphrey
Retired Dormant Member

I sprayed the pots liberally and am pleased to report that there is no trace of crackle though there is some hum on the full volume. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I could find no schematics anywhere and next time I will make sure that all plugs and sockets are marked with a proper pen and one that does not have ink that rubs off. Thanks again.
Closed Thread