UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2011, 7:11 pm   #1
Bumblebee
Pentode

Default Vortexion WVA

Hi All, I would like to tell you about the success story of an Vortexion WVA. I was given this from my friend Phil, another forum member. Phil told me it was in need of a rewiring, so I knew I had a bit of a challenge, which I like. It has taken a fair few hours or rather months, as I also had a Grundig TK46 on the go at the same time. I had to Replace all the old rubber wiring in the ampilfier, and on the deck which was perished. The plastic wiring was all aok. First I rewired the the mains transformer, and then the output transformer. All the capacitors were changed, I restuffed all the old electrolytics.The operating switch had been replaced at some point, but it looks like it maybe a different type to that, that was originally fitted. At this point I still didnt know if it would work. After many hours of work, I finally finished with the rewiring. Now for ''let me see if it works''. I was expecting it to blow up, take off and fly out of my shed over Wolverley and into Kidderminster. I was very happy that it did work, and it worked well, sounded good and even recorded. So I left it for awhile. I wanted to get on with the Grundig I was also doing. I got back onto the Vortexion 2 weeks ago. All I had to do now was recover the case. I did a bit of a modification too. The front part of the case (speaker) had at some point in it's life been stood in water and had started to go rotten. So I replaced the front part of the case with some new plywood. I cleaned all the aluminium grill's using Flash kitchen cleaner. I cut a larger hole for the speaker, and cut out a peice of felt and placed it inbetween the speaker and grill (original hole was just a slit). I then recovered it with black leathercloth. I polished up the old chrom catches and hinges. I also so replaced the side panel (where the mains lead fits into it's socket) with a stainless steel one that I made, the original one was bakalite or something like it. I was tempted to to respray the deck and amplifier top panel, but I havent got any sort of software to make decals. So I T-cuted all the paint work which came out really well for old paint. I then fitted new rubber grumits into the screw hole for mounting the deck in to the case, and glued the old rubber one onto the backs of them. I fitted the Amp section and the deck back in the case, and fitted new rubber feet onto the case, gave the case a quick polish and tryed it out. It sound's really nice now that is all back in the case. I'm really pleased with it. So the challenge, turned in to a nice working again Reel to Reel. I have attached some photo's and will post another 3 if I can. All the best. And thank you for reading.
Mark. (Bumblebee)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	52589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	52590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	52591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	52592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	52593  

Last edited by Bumblebee; 17th Jun 2011 at 7:21 pm. Reason: Added words.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 7:25 pm   #2
Bumblebee
Pentode

Default Re: Vortexion WVA

Here are another 3 Photo's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	52595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	52596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	52597  
Old 17th Jun 2011, 9:43 pm   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

That's a very nice restoration, I think I'd fail at re-covering something!

Andrew
Old 17th Jun 2011, 10:09 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

That covering looks A1....definately makes it..well done.

Lawrence.

"He who waits for roast duck to fly in to his mouth waits a long time"
Old 18th Jun 2011, 10:02 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Well done, Mark. Having seen the Vortexion with my own eyes yesterday and heard it playing, the photos don't do it justice! A really comprehensive restoration, and I am so pleased that the machine has gone to such a good home.

Best regards,

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 18th Jun 2011, 10:20 pm   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

A quite excellent job, it looks as good as new.

I'm sure that it sounds as good as it looks. Having used one many years ago I know that these were built like a battleship, and weighed almost as much!
Old 21st Jun 2011, 11:24 am   #7
wd40addict
Octode

Looks excellent!

What glue did you use to stick the Rexine down?

Regards,

Paul
Old 21st Jun 2011, 4:13 pm   #8
Bumblebee
Pentode

Thank you for the nice comments.

Paul I use PVA. I make two different mixes. One is about 50/50, which I use on the leathercloth after I've cut it to size (well just a bit bigger. I found that it shrunk the first time I ever did recovering) I give the covering two coats letting it dry inbetween using a roller. When the covering has dryed it's pre shrunk. I also coat the case with the same mix. Than when it's all dryed I use a thicker mix about 75% pva 25% water and using a roller I put a coat on the case only then stick covering on removing any any air bubbles. I then wait for pva to dry off. Then I concentrate on cutting in all the edges which can take me ages.
All the best.
Mark.
Old 26th Aug 2011, 1:22 pm   #9
whyperion
Hexode

What is the socket on the left hand side of the bulgin mains socket used for - a power in/out for some kind of auxillary or different power input plug fitting ?
Old 26th Aug 2011, 7:24 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

That is excellent, inside and out. Well done with it.

Cheers,

Steve P.