UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2011, 9:58 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Abracadabra - a new Roberts R707

OK , I cheated.
I've been staring at my forlorn looking R707 for a while now and thinking I really should spruce it up a bit especially after the strap broke
In the nick of time, along came a second set, in really nice condition, but totally dead on all bands.
At first I thought about swapping the strap, or getting the new one working BUT then the obvious hit me - DOH !

******Transplant the innards into the new case*******

and I felt like I'd done some useful work at the bench for a change

The only unsoldering is the external audio( ? ) connection, everything else just comes out of the case after removing just 5 screws and 4 x 4BA nuts.
A quick polish and some leather balm on the strap and it looks nearly new
( OK, one of the socket surrounds topside is rusty, but changing that would probably have destroyed the dial print.)
At least I now have a straight aerial.....
As I switched it back on, there was a mild panic as I thought all had gone quiet, but it was only that all the band selector buttons were 'out' - phew
Listening as I polished some more, I remembered why this is my favourite "tranny"
It sounds like a set 3 times the size. And takes up very little space ( dear ! )

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R707 pre.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	52022   Click image for larger version

Name:	R707 post.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	52023  
Old 6th Jun 2011, 9:29 am   #2
Jonster
Heptode

Default Re: Abracadabra - a new Roberts R707

Lovely set, mine too is the combination of the best parts of two radios. I really must get the other one working though! Are you going to try and recussitate you other one?
Old 6th Jun 2011, 11:09 am   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Jonster, I fear not - as it will be on the ROUNTUIT pile forever, there to join the 2 x R600s which are completely dead ( and a real pain to work on )

Andy
Old 27th Jun 2011, 11:28 am   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Well done for preserving another of Roberts' flagship set, I love these things to bits and my most regularly used large portable is a near-mint late version with the striped grille and AF12*s instead of the AF11*s that most were born with. That set also has an original Roberts PSU and runs from that without a trace of mains hum.

The main reason, of the many explaining why I'm so fond of mine - and of the three earlier, working examples I seem to have accumulated somehow - is that there's no background "mush" from the speaker, even at very low listening levels. OK, so it could be argued, in a different thread obviously, that there are Hacker sets of the period which sound "better" - a fiercely subjective statement I know - but even the best of the rest fails to satisfy as a bedside set when used at very low volume.
Not that a 707 doesn't satisfy when the need arises for loud music, they do that too. Beautifully.

Again; well done.
Old 1st Jul 2011, 12:12 pm   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Its great to see one in such good condition. I can easily imagine how good it sounds.
Old 6th Jul 2011, 1:30 pm   #6
mhennessy
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
The main reason, of the many explaining why I'm so fond of mine - and of the three earlier, working examples I seem to have accumulated somehow - is that there's no background "mush" from the speaker, even at very low listening levels. OK, so it could be argued, in a different thread obviously, that there are Hacker sets of the period which sound "better" - a fiercely subjective statement I know - but even the best of the rest fails to satisfy as a bedside set when used at very low volume.
The dual volume control is the reason for this; the noise from the preamp is attenuated as well as the wanted audio. It's a trick that has been used in a few hi-fi amplifiers over the years, although it's really not needed with good low-noise design...

(Hacker sets can be just as quiet, normally it's just a case of changing the first Lockfit transistor on the audio board)

Really must get on with mine. I have several scrappers, and reckon I could get one really nice example from them, and perhaps a second, not so nice one too. Would be a major effort though - they all have IF module problems...

Cheers,

Mark
Closed Thread