UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2018, 1:09 pm   #1
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Marconi VRC52A in 1952 film.

This shot of what I think is a Marconi VRC52A [1948] is seen in the film '13 EAST STREET, recently shown on 'Talking Pictures' channel 81 Freeview. The HMV equivalent [1851] has an entirely different appearance. Am I right?

The scene was supposed to be a London flat and the Marconi can be seen in many shots.
The best one is the opening sequence to the London flat. You get a full 3 seconds of it full length and central in the picture. Unfortunately I didn't capture this but someone may have done. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180119_082131.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	155840  
Old 21st Jan 2018, 1:43 pm   #2
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi VRC52A in 1952 film.

Quote:
Am I right?
Spot on as usual John, you can clearly see the radio in the top of the set.
The HMV had a lid on the radio & half doors over the screen.

Mark
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 11:08 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi VRC52A in 1952 film.

This is what an example looks like in the flesh.

This series of EMI receivers included a number of models in the HMV and Marconi brands.

My own view is that it was the very best of the EMI range. The performance is incredible with one of the brightest pictures matching anything available 30 years later.

It was EMI's 'Swan Song' This chassis with mains EHT, ended an era to be replaced with unreliable models that finally ended with the close of the television plant in 1957 with Thorn taking over production with just the HMV name rights retained by EMI.

Models fitted with this chassis include the HMV 1805/1806/ 1851 and the massive 1902 radiotelegram. All expensive models sold in surprisingly large numbers.

I think the VRC52A was the only model fitted with this chassis under the Marconi brand but you think you have seen them all to discover a model you have never seen before!

Just a word of warning...If you come across one of these receivers and fancy having a go at restoration, be warned. The 7kv mains derived EHT is LETHAL!
Other than that they are very straightforward but very heavy to handle. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRC52DA (2).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	155902   Click image for larger version

Name:	VRC52DA (1).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	155903  
Closed Thread