UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2021, 1:23 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Enlarging an existing hole in a steel chassis.

Hi.
I have discovered to my irritation that one must assume nothing, lest one commits a faux-pas!
To explain...
I have purchased some new B9A ceramic valve bases to replace old, corroded ones, and (silly me) assumed the size of the drop through ceramic body would be the same diameter as the old one - wrong!
The chassis hole reads 18.85mm and the new valve base ceramic body 21.95mm. I reckon I need to enlarge the hole by 3.5mm.

I was wondering what would be the most appropriate tool to enlarge the hole neatly? I could, of course, use a half round file, but that would be a bit crude and possibly end up off centre to the existing holes for the fixing bolts.

Your thoughts much appreciated
Old 15th Mar 2021, 1:27 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Enlarging an existing hole in a steel chassis.

Draw a circle of the correct size and position with a Sharpie (other permanent markers are available!) and use the file. I do have a set of circle templates that I use for this sort of thing but I also use anything circular of the right size (pipe offcuts, bottle tops) , or use compasses to draw a circle on a piece of card (corn flakes packets are of suitable weight) and cut out the hole. I have used a Swann-Morton No. 11 scalpel blade clamped in the drawing ink pen attachment of the compass of my geometry set for this.

Last edited by emeritus; 15th Mar 2021 at 1:36 pm.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 1:29 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

I did come across this problem , for future ref you can buy the correct base , to enlarge the hole I use a stepped drill bit, apply a squirt of wd when drilling ,I had eight to do on this Rock Ola amp all good fun , Mick.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 1:30 pm   #4
chriswood1900
Octode

I would use a taper reamer like this obtainable from most of the usual suspects. ebay, Amazon etc. https://precisehandtools.com/tr-04-t...mm-30mm-holes/
Other options might include a step drill but that will usually cut in 2mm intervals so 22mm is nearest.
Good luck
Old 15th Mar 2021, 1:48 pm   #5
Ambientnoise
Heptode

A “Conecut” or look alike will do it. Like a step drill without steps. Cheapo versions come up at Lidl/Aldi quite regularly. Only problem is that they obviously cut tapered holes but not an issue on thin chassis metal.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 4:28 pm   #6
snowman_al
Octode

Or buy the correct sized sockets?
If this is for the MA-12, I used to ones that look like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceramic-T...oAAOSwbsBXliqB

I have seen them from UK suppliers too, but a quick search has not got me a result so far.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8755.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	229239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	229240  
Old 15th Mar 2021, 4:43 pm   #7
JonSnell
Hexode

I use my trusty SnapOn Tools reamer and a T bar or low revving power drill. Makes a neat job.
Pop into ToolStation or order from RS Components if SnapOn is financially prohibitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 15.40.50.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	229241  
Old 15th Mar 2021, 5:21 pm   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanozeugma View Post

I was wondering what would be the most appropriate tool to enlarge the hole neatly? I could, of course, use a half round file, but that would be a bit crude and possibly end up off centre to the existing holes for the fixing bolts.

Your thoughts much appreciated
It wouldn't be that much of a chore with a half-round file - to enlarge by 3mm only requires 1.5mm to be removed around the perimeter. That said, if you have a pillar drill, a 'step drill' (often incorrectly terms a 'cone drill', which is tapered -not stepped), is by far the best solution. They've been mentioned before, but are worth repeating. A step drill would do the job neatly and in a jiffy. A set of three isn't expensive, and they're excellent for cutting holes in metal, ABS project boxes, and especially acrylic sheet without snatching, and even cut their own pilot hole. EG:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Malayas-Tit...74251327&psc=1

Hope that might help.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by David G4EBT; 15th Mar 2021 at 5:28 pm.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 5:39 pm   #9
JonSnell
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
Or buy the correct sized sockets?
If this is for the MA-12, I used to ones that look like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceramic-T...oAAOSwbsBXliqB

I have seen them from UK suppliers too, but a quick search has not got me a result so far.

Alan
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/vacuum-tubes/6784094/
Better quality and probably cheaper than fleabay. And you will receive what you want, not what they send!
Old 15th Mar 2021, 6:42 pm   #10

Cone cuts have the advantage of cutting any size albeit with a slightly tapered hole.

Old 15th Mar 2021, 6:44 pm   #11
snowman_al
Octode

Unfortunately Jon those on RS are the ones that are too large for the hole. They are also from China, but as you say...

ps. Colin, 'Mullard Magic' are advertising the original type socket at the moment, a little scabby but you never know.

Last edited by snowman_al; 15th Mar 2021 at 6:50 pm.
Old 15th Mar 2021, 8:07 pm   #12
Restoration73
Nonode

All this would be too much hard work for me. Instead

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand.../p/QMX0451110L
Old 15th Mar 2021, 8:57 pm   #13
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post

how does that work when theres already a 19mm hole
Old 15th Mar 2021, 9:37 pm   #14
The Philpott
Dekatron

I think i would be confident enough to do this job with a dremel abrasive stone, going gently and rotating it around the hole at an even speed and even pressure. Certainly easier to get an even round hole than filing.
Dave
Old 15th Mar 2021, 10:15 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

if there's plenty of room then a cone cutter, (I attack it from both sides gently, to avoid stressing the chassis) or if space is very tight (might catch under chassis wiring etc) then I've reamed the hole out before now with the sanding cylinder thingie on a dremel (it wrecks the abrasive, so used as a last resort).

Watford Valves do a decent selection of valve bases if you'd rather just get the right one!
https://www.watfordvalves.com/products.asp?ID=6&man=83
Old 15th Mar 2021, 11:44 pm   #16
Radio Wrangler

I keep a set of good quality tapered reamers, the long stepless ones. Operating them by hand is fine, food ones are sharp and will cut gently without grabbing. This way I can monitor the centring as I go and a little tip of the tool will steer it's progress so I can control the cutting so it is even around the perimeter.

Brilliant tools. You can smoothly ream a quarter inch starter hole out to an inch or more without feeling like you've run a marathon. The ability to cut is one thing, the ability to control the cut is even more important.

David
Old 16th Mar 2021, 12:06 am   #17
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Thanks to everyone for their input and thoughts.

In the first instance, it's my fault that I made the assumption that all drop through B9A sockets are created equal, diameter size anyway.

The originals are ceramic, and I wanted to replace with ceramic but ideally with gold plated pins for better resistance to oxidation.

Therefore, I ordered, and have to hand, sufficient sockets of the type I wanted to fit - except that the ceramic bodies are too large for the chassis holes.

I can quite see the logic of tearing up that idea and obtaining sockets that will fit without enlarging the chassis holes, but they would not be what I wanted.

So, having obtained the sockets, I am, so to speak, committed to using them. All that is required being to enlarge the chassis holes by about 3mm, the bolt mounting centres are, fortunately identical.

Of the possibilities suggested, I rather like the idea of a suitable cone drill.
The chassis is mild steel, approx 1.3mm thick and there is adequate room to use a cone drill.

The problem I have is selecting a suitable specimen.
Reading users experiences of cheap ones tends to suggest that they blunt at anything mildly resistant. Prices range widely.

It would be ideal if someone could point me to **one that experience has proven is successful** pitted against thin(ish) mild steel.
I obviously don't want to spend an arm and a leg on something that I may, quite possibly, never have to use again.

I am, however, grateful to all those who have taken the time to volunteer ideas and experiences (in case you thought otherwise!)
Old 16th Mar 2021, 10:14 am   #18
ex 2 Base
Heptode

I got mine from Aldi several years ago, I have used them a lot and they are still in good order. The trouble with Aldi and Lidl is once they have gone, they are gone, and you don't know when they will be available/reappear once again. Forgot to mention the 3 warranty. Ted
Old 16th Mar 2021, 11:33 am   #19
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I have got mine through the trade . G&J conecutter. I’m sure they are big money but they do last. Use some cutting compound to make them last.
One word of warning. They can bite and almost instantly the hole is too big.
Andy
Old 16th Mar 2021, 11:43 am   #20
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRASSBITS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post

how does that work when theres already a 19mm hole
You have to put masking tape on the work surface and make a few pencil marks around a circle centred on the hole you want to expand and with the diameter of the Q-Max die. Place the die, using the pencil marks, so it's also centered on the hole, drop the screw through, use the screw to pull the punch up to the other side of the metal, one last check that everything's still centred and then start tightening the screw in earnest. 1.5mm might be close to the limit for cutting a thin ring, but with a relatively small diameter punch I'd certainly give it a try. Perhaps the biggest worry is the thickness of the steel chassis, which is also close to the Q-Max limit.

Cheers,

GJ