UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2021, 12:20 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Bernina 707: four suppression capacitors?

I'm repairing this 707 for a friend. It needs a good clean, oil and the replacement of a cracked cam-stack nylon gear which had jammed the mechanism. From the sticky base I thought it had been excessively oiled in an attempt to free the movement, but it turned out to be this leaking capacitor in the motor housing.

From the diagram on it, there appear to be four capacitors inside (there are none in the pedal). I've drawn it out in the attached photograph, and in writing it's: 2 x 2nF (Live - Earth & Neutral - Earth); 0.06µF Live - Neutral; 0.02µF Live - Motor.

The neutral goes to a fast/slow range switch and some diodes, out of which assembly comes the other wire to the motor.

There's a 2M2 resistor between Live - Neutral.

With the recent success of an X and dual Y three-terminal capacitor in a Jones machine, I've ordered a similar 0.47µF X2 and 2 x 2.2nF Y2, but am wondering about the extra 0.02µF to the motor.

Why so many capacitors, and why the resistor across the mains?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211027_033239.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	244363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211027_020718.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	244364  
Old 27th Oct 2021, 2:22 pm   #2
kellymarie
Pentode

Default Re: Bernina 707: four suppression capacitors?

I think that is just a decent quality suppressor you say there are rectifiers they need suppression as well as the motor. Also the caps will help reduce the level of transient over voltages getting to the rectifiers. The resistor is just there to discharge all the caps otherwise its possible you'd get a nasty bite from the mains plug
Old 31st Oct 2021, 9:46 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks kellymarie. I suppose the diode (it turned out there was just one) has something to do with a particular position of the min/max speed switch.

The new three terminal capacitor fitted in fine. I soldered its black legs to the coloured wires I'd snipped off the old capacitor - useful, as I haven't got any 2.8mm Lucar connectors to slide onto the contact otherwise!

I added the fourth with a spare I had which fitted in the motor housing too. It all runs and nothing in the house is complaining of interference. I count that as a win.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211030_144614.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	244720  
Old 2nd Nov 2021, 1:05 pm   #4
kellymarie
Pentode

Yeah definitely a win it's all good.
Closed Thread