UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2009, 9:53 pm   #21
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Ekco A22 in walnut brown/bronze c.1945

A great job Robert! Nice to see a set like this restored so well, as you say a complete strip of the chassis was the only way forward after it had been daubed like that, it amazes me what some people call "refurbishment". I once saw a classic S type Jag that had a lovely job done on the engine but while it was out the owner had painted the whole engine bay with thick black hammerite!
You must have the patience of a saint!

Rich.
Old 8th Sep 2009, 11:59 pm   #22
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Very good and great backboard . It just shows what can be achieved with time and patience
Old 9th Sep 2009, 1:56 am   #23
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a response! I really appreciate you all taking the time to praise my restoration. I feel flattered by your very kind remarks. Many thanks to you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Will you now be putting the "reproduction" chassis into the [more araldite free] damaged case I wonder?
Yes that's the plan! Until I acquired the original A22 I tried to make my reproduction version as authentic as possible. But I don't feel that's particularly necessary anymore. So now it'll still be an A22 alright, but with a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilley View Post
...a few details of materials and/or inks used for the large transfer...
Nothing special here. It was simply ordinary 80g paper and an inkjet printer. In fact the sheet I used was originally the test print, but it came out so well the first time I used it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWard View Post
Is this where I admit to connecting resistors in series sometimes?
Nothing wrong with using resistors in series or parallel to make up a value. The crudeness I was referring to was just the poor way they had been soldered. Where the two resistors were joined they were sticking off of the chassis almost fouling other connections!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul LS View Post
Is that the original output transformer or did you replace it? If the original how did you clean it up? Like wise with the supply transformer?
Yes both transformers are the originals shown in the 'before' images. They were given exactly the same treatment as the metalwork of the chassis. That is, removal of the paint with jelly paint stripper, a clean with methylated spirit, and a repaint with the silver and black Smoothrite as appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
...where did you get MDF so thin?
From my local hardware shop which reqularly has it in stock. I believe its generally available from the well known DIY stores as well. I can't say that I've ever had a problem obtaining it in that thickness whenever I've needed some.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 9th Sep 2009, 12:03 pm   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Fantastic, Robert!

BTW, you sometimes find thin MDF used for kitchen cupboard backs, instead of hardboard.

Nick.
Old 9th Sep 2009, 7:14 pm   #25
GJR 11L
Heptode

That's simply wonderful work, Robert.
I consider the job all the more worthy because it is so much more troublesome when there are previous keeper's bodges to rectify during a restoration, and this was an extreme case of that phenomenon!

Superb work.
Old 9th Sep 2009, 10:09 pm   #26
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Just to Ekco everyone else's comments, Robert - a lovely piece of work. Well done.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 10th Sep 2009, 7:13 pm   #27
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Fantastic, Robert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
That's simply wonderful work, Robert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Just to Ekco everyone else's comments, Robert - a lovely piece of work. Well done.
Thank you Nick, John and Phil for those very kind words!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 12:21 pm   #28
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Since posting this restoration I've received several PM's now from members asking for details about how I went about completely stripping and rewiring this set. So rather than keep replying individually I thought it might be helpful to add the information here of my way of doing things for anyone who might wish to refer to it.

First of all I take digital photographs of the untouched set so I've got something to refer back to. I literally photograph everything! Anything that I may need to look at at some point. Its especially important to get good images of the underside of valve bases, connections from IFT's, transformers, and switches. I supplement the photographs with sketches and drawings of exactly how everything is connected until I'm sure I can put it all back together again.

At this point I'm ready to start dismantling and removing parts and components. I use masking tape to make small labels around wires before I cut them. These can then be written on to tally-up with points on the circuit diagram and with drawings in my notes. Doing this slowly and methodically a chassis can be easily stripped with you being confident of knowing where everything should go when you want to reassemble it.

It can be a bit daunting when first attempted, especially with sought after sets such as the A22 here, but sometimes a complete strip and rebuild is the only way forward. However I would only recommend undertaking this sort of thing when absolutely necessary and the condition of the set demands it. But I must say I personally enjoy having to restore a set this way, it gives a much greater sense of satisfaction when completed than a simple re-cap, clean and polish!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 3rd Oct 2009, 9:29 pm   #29
howard
Nonode

Well done Robert

This is a remarkable restoration. The remanufactured back cover is excellent. Personally I think the use of modern capacitors and resistors is OK even in a classic radio of this age as long as they are the same value as the originals and in the same place, the capacitors look fine and no doubt the radio works better for a new set of resistors and will continue working reliably for many years to come.

Howard
Old 10th Oct 2009, 2:45 pm   #30
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Thank you for the very kind comments Howard. Regarding the wholesale change of capacitors and resistors. Its not something I would normally consider doing to any set unless absolutely necessary, and especially not to a round Ekco! But faced with the condition the chassis was in, all but one of the wax capacitors and quite a few of the original resistors already gone. I decided I would restore it to be as reliable as possible rather than try and keep what originality was left. Plus something definitely needed doing about that black paint everywhere! So in the end the decision on how to proceed was largely already made for me.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 7th Nov 2009, 3:51 pm   #31
Retired
Heptode

Hi Robert,

That is one seriously fine restoration; it doesn't get any better than this and is an inspiration to us all. Supported by a great write up and images. Col.
Old 9th Nov 2009, 10:08 pm   #32
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Extremely nice of you Col to give me such high praise. Thank you very much!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 29th Nov 2009, 5:11 pm   #33
Tim
Dekatron

I'm not worthy............................
That IS AMAZING!
Old 1st Dec 2009, 7:31 pm   #34
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Thank you very much Tim, it's extremely nice of you to say that! (Your more than worthy BTW )

Kind regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 27th Jun 2010, 10:40 am   #35
E.K.Cole
Retired Dormant Member

I'm just gobsmacked! I love these sets and to see one painstakingly restored in this way is a real privilege. Your skill and patience are a lesson to us all. Fantastic!
Maurice
Old 4th Oct 2010, 1:29 am   #36
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Thank you Maurice, I really appreciate your very kind comments!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 4th Oct 2010, 5:28 pm   #37
Guitarist28
Heptode

Hi Robert
This is the first time I have seen this thread and your restored radio looks absolutely awesome and I am pleased that you have shared your success with us.

Regards

Rob
Old 4th Oct 2010, 6:34 pm   #38
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi, I think it has all been said! Wonderful restoration job it's a lovely feeling when a plan comes together, well done indeed.
Old 12th Jul 2011, 11:05 am   #39
Captain Flash
Retired Dormant Member

What an incredible project with an absolutely beautiful result! The finished product is a credit to your obvious depth of knowledge and meticulous attention to detail... well done! Thank you for the comprehensive documentation from start to finish; it's been a fascinating read.
Best Regards,
Tom
Old 17th Jul 2011, 5:34 pm   #40
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist28 View Post
This is the first time I have seen this thread and your restored radio looks absolutely awesome and I am pleased that you have shared your success with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I think it has all been said! Wonderful restoration job it's a lovely feeling when a plan comes together, well done indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flash View Post
What an incredible project with an absolutely beautiful result! The finished product is a credit to your obvious depth of knowledge and meticulous attention to detail... well done! Thank you for the comprehensive documentation from start to finish; it's been a fascinating read.
Hi Rob, Mick and Tom,

Thank you for those kind and encouraging words. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment about my efforts. Many thanks!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Closed Thread