UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2013, 3:56 pm   #181
unabridged
Tetrode

Default Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

I work in live events and the 15 amp splitters are still known as grelcos. I'm in the process of changing something like 500 15 amp ends to 16, and even the 16 amp splitters are still referred to as "grelcos" by some people.
Old 16th Apr 2013, 9:57 pm   #182
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

Hi,
I found this item t'other day. It's an adapter to allow a European two pin plug to be used in a South African 16amp socket (the former BS546 15amp UK socket). It's nearly new and I was surprised to see that it was made by Crabtree, and that it also carried a South African approval mark. I didn't realise that Crabtree still made plugs, haven't seen one for years!
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5012.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	78729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5014.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	78730  
Old 16th Apr 2013, 10:24 pm   #183
matthewhouse
Octode

The construction looks a bit poor for Crabtree.
Old 16th Apr 2013, 10:36 pm   #184
Herald1360
Dekatron

Are those L&N pins hollow?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Apr 2013, 9:30 pm   #185
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
The adapter is rated at 10amps and is SABS approved. The L&N pins are hollow, being made from brass tube. Crabtree are a big concern in South Africa these days judging by their website & product ranges. Not sure how big they are in the UK though. The construction of the adapter looks a bit 'plasticky' to me as well but the Euro two pin plug is a good firm fit.
I had to smile at the idea of a Brit (me) buying a South African fitting from a Dutch couple in France. Cosmopolitan, or what?
Cheers, Pete
Old 19th Apr 2013, 10:29 am   #186
winston_1
Hexode

One has to ask why on earth there isn't a brass earth pin and side earth contacts in the socket end.

As it is it is dangerous as it looks as if it will take a schuko plug but not earth it. Shame on Crabtree.
Old 19th Apr 2013, 12:23 pm   #187
Herald1360
Dekatron

Not just Crabtree I suspect. We gave up at work trying to find a replacement multicountry travel adaptor that carried the earth through properly when the one we had been supplying went obsolete. Luckily it wasn't critical for the application.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Apr 2013, 12:40 pm   #188
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
It won't accept a Schuko plug as the plastic projections at the top & bottom are too narrow to allow the plug to enter (I've tried!) I imagine there's an earthed version for a few rand more.
We have an adapter here in France that allows unearthed 16amp plugs (on power drills, vacuum cleaners, etc.) to be used in 6amp two pin sockets. They too have the plastic detents, but some folk cut them out to allow Schuko plugs to fit. Now that IS dangerous!
Cheers, Pete
Old 19th Apr 2013, 1:07 pm   #189
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Crabtree certainly still exist in the UK market too, though whether they're just a "name" owned by someone else, I don't know. For example:
N.

Last edited by AC/HL; 20th Aug 2015 at 12:41 am. Reason: Link dead
Old 19th Apr 2013, 3:26 pm   #190
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the UK, the Crabtree, Wylex and Volex brands are now all part of a holding company called "Electrium" which is in turn owned by the Siemens group.
Old 19th Apr 2013, 7:11 pm   #191
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
We have an adapter here in France that allows unearthed 16amp plugs (on power drills, vacuum cleaners, etc.) to be used in 6amp two pin socket
Do they know about the Darwin Awards in La Belle France?
Colin.
Old 19th Apr 2013, 7:22 pm   #192
broadgage
Nonode

USA type outlets, but sold in the UK and designed to fit UK mounting boxes are made by Crabtree.

Although intended to take USA plugs, these outlets are very different in design to those normally installed in America.
The Crabtree twin outlets have only one set of terminals, it clearly being intended that the cables would be looped via these terminals onto the next outlet just as with a twin 13 amp socket.
In the USA this is prohibited "one wire in one terminal" and outlets invariably have two sets of terminals to allow through wiring.

Must be a limited market for these Crabtree outlets since they are not allowed in the USA nor likely to be used in the UK. Possibly used in the Middle East ?
Old 19th Apr 2013, 11:04 pm   #193
emeritus
Dekatron

A hotel I stayed in near Gatwick Airport last year had UK, Schuko and US mains sockets in the room.
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 3:21 pm   #194
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

This sounds sensible and logical until you think of wiring regulations. I would guess that these had to be all on their own circuits to meet the UK regulations. It sounds expensive.
Colin.
Old 23rd Apr 2013, 3:24 pm   #195
Radio Wrangler

You could connect the Schukos on fused spur fittings.

I assume the US sockets get a volttage reducing transformer?

Still expensive!

David
Old 28th Apr 2013, 10:29 pm   #196
broadgage
Nonode

USA mains plugs have become an unofficial standard in the UK for 12 volt circuits in off grid homes.

The convention seems to be
12 volt DC=USA type mains plugs
24 volts DC= old type UK round pin plugs, 5 amp or 15 amp according to load.
240 volts AC but of restricted capacity= MK non standard 13 amp plugs.
Old 29th Apr 2013, 12:01 am   #197
emeritus
Dekatron

When I first went to Spain on holiday in 1973 (to Palamos on the Cosa Brava), our apartment (built in the late 1960's) had the standard European-gauge 2 pin sockets (4mm pins) for 6A circuits, and a US-type 2 pin plug and socket providing a 10A circuit for the water heater in the kitchen. The supply was the normal 220V AC.
Old 30th Apr 2013, 8:27 pm   #198
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
Most UK touring caravans use the US two pin non reversible plug & socket for their 12volt DC outlets. Our 'van had one which was made by Clipsal, as were the rest of the wiring accessories.
Cheers, Pete
Old 30th Apr 2013, 9:36 pm   #199
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In the context of caravans, does anyone remember an immediately-post-WWII plug/socket used for loudspeaker-distribution systems in schools etc. that looked rather like this connector

http://www.caravanparts.co.uk/images/soct2pin138536.jpg

which is now widely used for 12V distribution in caravans/motorhomes?
Old 30th Apr 2013, 11:30 pm   #200
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Hi,
I've got a socket that sounds similar to what you describe. I'll dig it out and post a photo tomorrow.
Cheers, Pete