UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2018, 9:38 pm   #1
laceholes
Retired Dormant Member

Default Intermittent rumbling noise from HMV radiogram amplifier

A vintage HMV radiogram kept making a very low frequency rumble when switched to gramophone, even when the turntable was stationary. I suspected a electrolytic cap and changed one or two of them, with no effect. It eventually turned out to be the 4 layer yaxley switch was slowly burning away through the action of the HT voltage. I only found it by chance one evening when the light was off, when I saw this blue sparking and investigated it. I didn't want to strip all the wires off the four bank switch so I scraped the carbon off the offending switch and made good any important damage with Araldite. After that all was well.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 1:07 am   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Intermittent rumbling noise from HMV radiogram amplifier

Hello and welcome to the forum. That reads like a very useful fire hazard warning! It would be helpful to know which model HMV RG that was!
Old 26th Feb 2018, 1:25 pm   #3
laceholes
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry but I don't know which HMV model it was. The case had been modified a bit and the pickup replaced by a more modern one. I later took out and used the amplifier etc for a few years until the speaker rotted around the edges where the cardboard folds. I even spread rubberised glue over the rotting and the speaker continued working!
Old 26th Feb 2018, 8:36 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello and welcome from me too.

This is quite a common phenomenon, which seems to be known as "HT tracking".

e.g. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=89602
Closed Thread