UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2018, 7:47 pm   #1
big andy
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV Stereo Master.

Evening all.

I've searched on your forum, but I cannot find what I need -so I'm acting dumb and asking anyways

I've inherited a nice HMV Stereo Master, it all works fine except the stop start auto switch for the player. I've sorted the stuck turntable but am not sure how to remedy this issue.

Can anyone offer help?

Cheers, big andy.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 10:04 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV Stereo Master.

Hi Andy, and welcome to the forum.

If you mean that when you slide the control to "auto", nothing happens, then go to the "stickies" at the start of this section, and scroll down to the sixth one "Auto-trip repair".
That should put you right, but if this is not the fault you have, please get back to us.

Barry
Old 21st Feb 2018, 6:30 pm   #3
big andy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Audio1950- my issue is that it's completely stuck. Will not move anywhere.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 11:13 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Looks like you'll have to remove the deck so that you can see the various levers underneath. Be careful when removing it that you don't pull any of the wires off that are connected to the motor and the amplifier. Apart from old solidified grease, I can't think of anything that would stop the control from moving.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:29 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Might be worth pointing out that to remove the deck you will likely have to go in from the back or below the cabinet and flip the clips 90ยบ - the two screws on deck upper side (to which the clips are connected) are just for transit and do not release the deck.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 1:40 pm   #6
big andy
Retired Dormant Member

ok will try -thanks
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 6:11 pm   #7
Michael Maurice

I've had a lot of experience with these

This deck has a sub chassis which needs to be removed and stripped down. You need to remove the pick up arm, the overarm, the motor and the start lever and then several screws then remove the sub chassis from the deck.

I then strip it down, cam gear off, end of record actuating arm and anything else that can come off. There are some tiny clips and springs, make sure you dont lose them.

Then warm it up as much as you can and using isopropyl alchohol, you can free it off, let it cool down once it freed off and then try moving the linkages, to make sure all old grease is removed. A hairdryer can be used to warm it up.

This might seem complicated but its the only way to do it.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread