UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2020, 12:56 pm   #1
David001
Tetrode

Default Tandberg series 15

I won a lovely Tandberg series 15 on eBay but it's in Durham, I'm in Glasgow with little chance of collecting it during the present climate in the UK.
Old 19th Apr 2020, 7:58 pm   #2
David001
Tetrode

Smile Re: Uher Stereo 500 mixer help

Thanks, David.

I have some good news- due to the pandemic making travel impossible to Durham from Glasgow, the seller has agreed to send the Tandberg 64 mono R2R via Parcelforce48, should arrive Wednesday.

Old 20th Apr 2020, 3:01 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Uher Stereo 500 mixer help

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
That's really kind of you to find this, now I know how it works!

Hope you and yours are well.

Egards,

David.
Glad it was useful, good news about the Tandberg. Yes OK this end, hope everybody else out there is keeping safe and well in these strange and very difficult times.

David
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 3:12 pm   #4
David001
Tetrode

Hello. Yes, it works, but seems to get quite warm. Is this normal?
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 3:19 pm   #5
David001
Tetrode

Tandberg Series 15, not 64, sorry. Mono, half-track
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 3:32 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Do not know, would not have expected it to get very warm. Is it the mixer itself when on internal battery operation that gets warm or power adaptor that gets warm when using power adaptor ?
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 3:33 pm   #7
David001
Tetrode

Sorry, I mean the Tandberg R2R is getting quite warm. At least it works, tbf
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 6:40 pm   #8
David001
Tetrode

I gave everything a clean, case looks better (and smells better). Will get it serviced sometime. Managed to get nearly all the rust off the case clips. Alas, no key for it but not really important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200422_171445.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	203806   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_183404.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	203807   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_183452.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	203808  

Last edited by David001; 23rd Apr 2020 at 6:41 pm. Reason: More info
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 9:23 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg series 15

Looking good.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 12:31 am   #10
David001
Tetrode

Thanks David. Your advice was helpful. It's a shame my Uher was u/s, but there you go. This seems a nice deck and it's no longer running hot. Might just have been inaction. I think the tape counter belt is going, but will wait until the repairman opens up again.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 6:40 am   #11
saxmaniac
Heptode

Over an hour the whole top on mine is surprisingly warm even though it's solid state. It should be a great machine, there's a few things that might need attention like belts, pinch roller and r/p switch
Old 24th Apr 2020, 9:32 am   #12
David001
Tetrode

Yes, it's really good. Not done any recordings yet. I think the bass pot needs changed, it's very loose compared to the treble one. The belts will need changed but I'll wait until the repair guy can do it, don't fancy doing it myself.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 11:50 am   #13
David001
Tetrode

The pinch roller cleaned up really well, I took the advice of the late John Peel and did it with a cotton bud and saliva (my own), worked really well. Most of the muck was tape residue.

Last edited by David001; 24th Apr 2020 at 11:50 am. Reason: Typo
Old 26th Apr 2020, 7:37 pm   #14
David001
Tetrode

Hello everyone.

I'm very happy with it, although I notice it had the apparently dreaded B-B-B tone. I had a look through the threads, and it seems a common problem. Is this merely down to a bad switch (rec/play/amp) or is it to do with the int/both/ext switch?

It does sound very nice via line out, record worked well too.

Any advice?
Old 26th Apr 2020, 7:40 pm   #15
David001
Tetrode

Oh dear, also a slight acrid smell. I expect that's the caps? I don't want to make anything worse so might just pack it away for a while. At least, in general, it works, lol
Old 27th Apr 2020, 2:28 pm   #16
Paulus.d
Hexode

Also check the rectifier .... the power supply components are on the power amp PCB...
JUst a thought but check the record lever back light bulb lights up..
Regards Paul
Old 27th Apr 2020, 3:09 pm   #17
ben
Dekatron

Some warmth is usual with these.
Obligatory things to check:

- Clean rec/amp switch contacts with q tip wet with switch cleaner.
- Replace Rifa cap, located on tagstrip on trfmr (motor switch suppressor, think it was 0.1uF +47R resistor)
- De Gunk/relubricate with fresh grease linkages, pinch roller return, joystick, etc.
- If noisy play, resurface idler.
- If left hand tape guide shows wear, loosen then rotate it to expose new surface.
- If counter jams, add a tiny drop of grease to the little cams on the segments.
- Ensure rec meter bulb is okay. If not, the oscillator goes unstable and this can also affect playback.

If the bass control is loose, check it has not had a knock, the back plate might have come loose and you can reassemble it. I always loosen the metal collar inside the tone knobs as they tend to be hard to get on and off.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 3:40 pm   #18
David001
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulus.d View Post
Also check the rectifier .... the power supply components are on the power amp PCB...
JUst a thought but check the record lever back light bulb lights up..
Regards Paul

Yes, it does. Recording needle moved with mic input source direct via DIN on front too.
Old 27th Apr 2020, 3:42 pm   #19
David001
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Some warmth is usual with these.
Obligatory things to check:

- Clean rec/amp switch contacts with q tip wet with switch cleaner.
- Replace Rifa cap, located on tagstrip on trfmr (motor switch suppressor, think it was 0.1uF +47R resistor)
- De Gunk/relubricate with fresh grease linkages, pinch roller return, joystick, etc.
- If noisy play, resurface idler.
- If left hand tape guide shows wear, loosen then rotate it to expose new surface.
- If counter jams, add a tiny drop of grease to the little cams on the segments.
- Ensure rec meter bulb is okay. If not, the oscillator goes unstable and this can also affect playback.

If the bass control is loose, check it has not had a knock, the back plate might have come loose and you can reassemble it. I always loosen the metal collar inside the tone knobs as they tend to be hard to get on and off.
Thanks, think the tape counter belt is gone, or at least very loose. At least it's works, so the repair guy can hopefully fix it in 2021.
Old 28th Apr 2020, 5:22 am   #20
ricard
Octode

I had a Tandberg model 15 (not sure if I still have it, a few too many Tandbergs have passed through my hands over the years), where the motor was wired for 115V even though the mains transformer was wried for 230V (matching the type plate on the back of the machine). The result was that the motor ran very hot, with a slight burning smell. Very surprisingly to me anyway, the speed was correct, I would have supposed that being an asynchronous motor it would have run a bit fast when subjected to twice its intended voltage.

Anyway, rewiring the motor brought back normality, motor runs as usual with no burning smell.

What amazes me is that it must certainly have been manufactured like this, and spent its working life being "the machine that smelt bad". I was considering if the motor had been replaced, but the solder joints had that factory uniformity about them so I don't think so.
Closed Thread