UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2020, 2:12 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: GILES cartoon.

It'll be a while before I see this again:-

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...a_England.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 12:22 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The other Giles cartoon featuring the PYE V210A. This time with it's single remote control! John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img011.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	202025  
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:52 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

I'm a Giles fan, and always use the RNLI's Giles christmas cards. Still available, Giles' heirs have allowed the RNLI to keep using the designs he donated to them each year over a long period.

David
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 2:51 pm   #24
emeritus
Dekatron

Thanks for posting these. I used to have a small collection of his late 50's - early 60's books, but they went missing, along with my Andy Capp books and copies of "The Eagle", during a house move when I was away at college. Always such amazing details.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 3:52 pm   #25
emeritus
Dekatron

Photo of the Airfix/Dapol bungalo, complete with "H"aerial, from the web.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-02-15-42-49-1-1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	202053  
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 4:13 pm   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thanks for that EM. It was also part of their logo. A house complete with H as the top part of an umbrella with the owners under the handle.
Giles must have constantly scanned details of just about everything. I wonder if he collected sales leaflets at the Radio Shows! John.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 5:07 pm   #27
peter_scott
Dekatron

More...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020909 (Medium).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	202066  
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 5:10 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

You can even tell that it's an Eclipse hacksaw!

Carl Giles was fairly handy. He built a home-made caravan from scratch. There's a photo of it somewhere behind his '120.

David
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 7:13 pm   #29
emeritus
Dekatron

I well remember my disgust as a child whenever Children's Hour was cancelled for Wimbledon!
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:21 pm   #30
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

One from the fifth series. Oct 6th 1950. The knobs look very HMV. John.
PS. Well done Peter. I was just about to post that one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img012.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	202078  
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:30 pm   #31
evingar
Octode

Love the knob labels "knob for this", "knob for that" "try this one" and "ON / PEACE."
Kids of today don't know they're born - Took real art and perseverance to get a stable picture when I were a lad - especially as I had to make do with worn out sets from the jumble sale - that I'd usually had to mend when I didn't know what the hell I was doing
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:47 pm   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

We all started that way Chris. My first one was a 1949 Ferguson 941T. They all got older from then on! John.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:52 pm   #33
AC/HL
Dekatron

Mine was a Cossor console, wheeled home on it's castors!
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 9:18 pm   #34
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
Love the knob labels "knob for this", "knob for that" "try this one" and "ON / PEACE."
I particularly liked "try this one". It contrasts nicely with the button in Douglas Adams' spaceship Heart of Gold that lights up saying "please don't press this button again!"
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 11:38 pm   #35
peter_scott
Dekatron

Those knobs are embedded in my brain too. My first set when aged 13 was an HMV1807. I never got it working.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	92100841_10223052270762111_2398169631958237184_n.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	202092  
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 7:17 am   #36
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I'm a Giles fan, and always use the RNLI's Giles christmas cards. Still available, Giles' heirs have allowed the RNLI to keep using the designs he donated to them each year over a long period.
I drink my Tea out of an RNLI Giles mug - I think they`re still sold.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 8:59 am   #37
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
My first set when aged 13 was an HMV1807. I never got it working.Peter
Neither did I! J.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 9:40 am   #38
peter_scott
Dekatron

I don't believe you! As per my diary entry mine had no EHT but I took advice from our local TV repair shop and they gave me the double whammy that the set was TRF and Channel 1 only but I was in Edinburgh (Channel 3)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020910 (Medium).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	202103  

Last edited by peter_scott; 3rd Apr 2020 at 9:47 am.
Old 8th Apr 2020, 11:47 pm   #39
Catkins
Pentode

Hi Peter,

Two things come to mind here.

First, I'm surprised at age 13 you were allowed to "play-around" with televisions by your parents. Hadn't they heard of the dangerous high voltages present in televisions? Especially EHT

Second, how did a Channel 1 television end up in Edinburgh? You don't say where you got it?

It might be a bit off topic (the reason should become clear), but, I'll mention my contrasting experience at that age . We (my twin and I) first got involved in collecting at the age of eleven in 1979. Luckily or unluckily if you're cynical, we bought a Bush SW23 (1938) radio at a jumble sale for the princely sum of 25 pence. By a fluke it was a mains set and it worked when we plugged it in and added an aerial.

That success got us hooked. At the time our main source of sets were jumble sales and junk shops (AKA antique shops). What we really wanted was an old television, that was our dream. It didn't happen. In fact most of the stuff that came up was uninteresting battery radio sets from the 40s and 50s. We couldn't power them up as we lacked the ability at that time. It was very disappointing.

Then finally (getting to the point as well), about the age 13, we got a 1950s television. We thought we'd hit the jackpot. By that time we'd become known for collecting "junk", and the father of a friend (an incomer family from elsewhere who had taken the old television with them), gave us their old television.

But sadly that was as good as it got. Our parents forbade us from working on it due to the "high voltages" they'd heard about, and then for good measure got rid of it. At the time I remember thinking its a good job you don't know there's high voltages present in old radios too

That was the only 1950s television we ever got up to age 18, at which point we went to university, and didn't do much with our interest for the next 20 years.

In hindsight I now know exactly why we never came across 1950s televisions, and in fact found it hard to get non-battery set radios at that age. We grew up in the Forest of Dean, an isolated and backward area of the country. Most of that area unbelievably to me didn't get mains electricity until the late 1950s/early 1960s. My mother recalls first getting electricity at the age of 12, and taking the accumulator of the radio (no television) to the garage to be recharged in the late 1950s. Due to the geography most of the area couldn't pick up television anyway until repeater stations were brought in later.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 9:01 am   #40
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post

Neither did I! J.
I don't believe you! As per my diary entry mine had no EHT but I took advice from our local TV repair shop and they gave me the double whammy that the set was TRF and Channel 1 only but I was in Edinburgh (Channel 3)
Hi Peter,

Two things come to mind here.

First, I'm surprised at age 13 you were allowed to "play-around" with televisions by your parents. Hadn't they heard of the dangerous high voltages present in televisions? Especially EHT

Second, how did a Channel 1 television end up in Edinburgh? You don't say where you got it?
Hi Phillip,

My parents were aware of the danger of mains electricity. I doubt that my mother had ever had a belt from the mains but I have no doubt that my father had on a number of occasions and lived to tell the tale. By my mid teens I certainly had experience of quite a number of mains and HT shocks and the odd EHT shock but at that stage I had only had access to flyback generated EHT. I did not possess any mains derived EHT sets until I was 29 years old by which time I had been working in the industry long enough to understand the dangers.

I was given the London area set by a school friend. I don't know how he acquired it. It's possible that his parents had moved from London to Edinburgh with all their possessions not realising that the TV set would not receive the local transmissions. I was given it in 1963 by which time it was quite an old set and of little value even if it had been fully working. In fact it was stone dead quite apart from being unable to receive if it had been working.

Peter
Closed Thread