UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2020, 2:38 pm   #21
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for a 3 speed 10.5 inch reel to reel

The Logic 7 was three speed up to 15 ips in standard trim - I don't recall lower speed variants, but am open to correction! Back coated tape came in around 1970 - Scotch 206/7, Ampex 406/7, Agfa 368/468. These had a matt back coating and a smooth oxide surface, and are fine for domestic machines. There were also earlier matt types, designed for professional machines and in particular for neat spooling on single-flange reels - BASF LR56/LGR30, Agfa FR/FR4 and others. These are quite abrasive and can chew through some domestic heads in short order.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 3:49 pm   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There are at least 4 Philips 1970's/1980's tape decks that will more than meet the OP's needs. They all give a superb performance electronically, but do come in for critiscm for their high use of plastic in the casing and main assemblies.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 3:57 pm   #23
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
There are at least 4 Philips 1970's/1980's tape decks that will more than meet the OP's needs.
Don't keep us in the dark then, Tell us the model numbers.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 4:29 pm   #24
David001
Tetrode

Tandberg Series 15 and 64, some of the bigger Uher ones (Variocord) have 3 speeds too
Old 25th Mar 2020, 4:41 pm   #25
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Uher SG 631 will do the 3 lower speeds and 2 / 4 track (with corresponding head assembly) up to 10.5"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uher SG 631.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	201597  
Old 25th Mar 2020, 5:45 pm   #26
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

If you can live with hum...
Old 25th Mar 2020, 6:23 pm   #27
David001
Tetrode

Sorry, these decks only do 7" reels
Old 25th Mar 2020, 7:35 pm   #28
Timvintage
Pentode

Thanks so much everyone for all your replies and info. Peter, the Phillips n4450 sounds very interesting, you mentioned it can take up to 10.5 inch wheels, but preferably not nab? Does that mean that you absolutely can’t put nab reels on it? I haven’t actually got any 10.5 inch wheels yet, but will possibly be getting some soon.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 8:24 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

Before jumping in, hunt down the threads on the Philips N4450 machines. They do seem to be a lot of work. I followed them through as they appeared and they left me feeling glad I bought a Revox back in the day, but the N4450 certainly has the looks.

I can't help thinking that by going for one recorder which does it all, you are embarking on a difficult quest for something very rare. I'd expect you to finish sooner and have change in your pocket if you spread the needs over two or three different machines.

David
Old 25th Mar 2020, 8:44 pm   #30
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramofiend View Post
Have you considered double speed transfer of the material say repro of 1 7/8ips at 3 3/4 ips and re record at 7 1/2 ips, then play back the result at 3 3/4 ips. It obviously requires strict attention to repro azimuth alignment of the original but you seem to have knowledge for what you are doing and having laid off recordings from damaged cassettes and various low speed 1/4 inch efforts over the years, I can assure you that it is intelligible and can be quite musical and preservable. I believe there is also software that enables you to place it directly into digitised state and then corect up or down for the speed.

Especially if you record to a computer at the wrong speed, then speed it up or down there, the results can be excellent. One thing is though that the tone correction curves don't necessarily match across the different tape speeds, so to get a straight frequency response, you will need to apply some EQ to compensate for this. It's a wonder someone hasn't calculated the EQ coefficients and posted them somewhere on the 'net.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:22 pm   #31
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Surely not on a Uher
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:25 pm   #32
Timvintage
Pentode

Radio rangler, you are probably right, and maybe that is what I will end up doing, having a couple of machines. It is just my lack of space that prompted me to see if I could find something that did it all.
I have thought about just changing speed once it is digitised on the computer, but I want to be able to listen to the actual tapes as well, that’s why I don’t want to do that.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:35 pm   #33
Michael Maurice

What material is on the tapes at the lower speed?

If its just speech, then equalisation really shouldn't be too much of a problem, and you could use a 3¾ speed machine and then slow it down in software without any serious degradation.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:50 pm   #34
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Surely not on a Uher
Absolutely on this Uher, at any rate. Contemporary test reports criticised the unweighted hum figure, and my example had this fault and more besides - it was the layout and shielding rather than skimped electronics that was the trouble. It offered nothing I couldn't do better on other machines, so on it went.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:57 pm   #35
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The one in the photo I was close to purchasing several months back but got outbid, from your input it sounds like I might have had a lucky escape !
Old 25th Mar 2020, 11:33 pm   #36
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timvintage View Post
Thanks so much everyone for all your replies and info. Peter, the Phillips n4450 sounds very interesting, you mentioned it can take up to 10.5 inch wheels, but preferably not nab? Does that mean that you absolutely can’t put nab reels on it? I haven’t actually got any 10.5 inch wheels yet, but will possibly be getting some soon.
I’ve certainly seen them used with metal NAB spools and adaptors so have no reason to assume they won’t work. However the issue is that the spools are driven by small D.C. motors via rubber belts, the extra weight of NAB spools just puts a little extra strain on the mechanism.

I used plastic 10.5” spools when my machine was in working order without any problem, indeed Philips supplied two with the machine from new. Bought mine new in 1972.

Peter
Old 26th Mar 2020, 7:17 pm   #37
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
There are at least 4 Philips 1970's/1980's tape decks that will more than meet the OP's needs.
Don't keep us in the dark then, Tell us the model numbers.
Oh well Graham, if you must......!
Here are 3 from the top of my head:
Philips N7300, N4450, Pro-12 (with adaptors).
There was an Austrian built successor to the N7300 which I can't find the reference for.
Old 27th Mar 2020, 2:56 pm   #38
Michael Maurice

I would think the N7300 would be a better bet, far less complicated and unlikely to use germanium transistors.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 30th Mar 2020, 2:09 pm   #39
brenellic2000
Octode

I have come to this one late. Ordinarily I'd have said a Brenell STB2 or MK.6 10-1/2" deck - the Mk.610 is more common and was used by the BBC for 'editing'. Both offer 4 speeds and capacity for a second playback head of choice (1/4 vs 1/2 track).

The biggest headache is the (un)reliability of the Papst motors and Bogen heads but with a bit of ingenuity, any make of head can be fitted. ln this instance, as Ted says, a Ferrograph is probably a wiser choice... but the Brenell will sound nicer!
Old 30th Mar 2020, 4:47 pm   #40
Boulevardier
Octode

I know I keep going on about it (bitter experience!), but I would be really reluctant to recommend the Brennell Mk 6. Apart from the widely experienced and aired Papst motors and Bogen heads problem, Brennell really never dragged themselves into the contemporary sophistication standards seen in machines like the Revoxes, etc. In the high-speed, large-spool functions the tape handling was awful, and without hands-on (literally) control of the spools and of the tape loops formed by 15 inches of tape feeding through the pressure roller before the take-up spool reached speed, and the fierce snatches on tape that occurred when in did, badly chewed-up tapes resulted on many "starts". Add to that the wear on the static tape-guides and the wear on heads from the pressure pads, and using and maintaining them was continual hard work.

Just a note of my own experience!

Mike
Closed Thread