UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2020, 9:41 pm   #1
Steveatbath
Triode

Default Minim TV1000 sound tuner

I would appreciate advice from anyone who knows this device. I rediscovered it in my loft and probably got it many years ago in a charity shop but never used it.I do not have any manual. It powered up with the twin tuning lamps and I connected an old powered indoor uhf/vhf aerial and plugged in headphones. I tuned by turning the inset screws and the indicator moved across the dial but I could only hear mush and did not receive a sound signal. Thanks Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	201437  
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 9:51 pm   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Minim TV1000 sound tuner

Did the mush vary as you tuned? If the aerial is working you should hear peaks of noise as you tune through the digital TV channels. Unfortunately there are no analogue TV channels left in Western Europe

It's good here
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 10:08 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Yes, there's no analogue signal to listen to now.

There were a number of limited production TV sound tuners in the 70s that people could connect to their hifi systems. You needed something like that because the TVs of the period were almost all live chassis. There were also kits, and I remember I bodged something together using a UHF tuner head that was used with a band II FM tuner in a dual conversion fashion.

Once VCRs became common then you could just take the audio output from those.
Old 22nd Mar 2020, 10:40 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

You could test it with the analogue output from an SD Sky or Sky+ box if you have one and a dish, but it's really just for interest.
Old 24th Mar 2020, 12:52 pm   #5
Steveatbath
Triode

Thanks for the explanations; this was probably a 70s period piece as you suggest and no longer has a useful function. Does anyone want this a Museum piece? I'm happy to send it for the cost of postage. Steve
Old 24th Mar 2020, 2:52 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Another possibility is it might have been used by a blind person.

On the broad subject of TV sound without vision, I recently bought a couple of vintage reels of 1/4 inch tape to use with a KB reel-reel machine I have. Whoever originally owned the tape liked to record the family sitting round drinking tea, playing cards etc, but at one point he or she records the TV, and I can date the event exactly, the main evening news on BBC TV, Sun 20 October 1963 the day Alec Douglas-Home announced his new cabinet after he became PM the day before, following Harold Macmillan's resignation.
Old 26th Mar 2020, 6:43 pm   #7
duncanlowe
Nonode

Yes, audio out of TVs was rare even in the eighties, though common enough on VCRs. Or at least in my limited experience. So I obtained a surplus tuner, meant to add on to a portable video recorder to allow it to to record TV. A bit of digging inside identified the audio output allowing me to feed it to my stereo.

Edit, it must have been the tuner / timer Philips VR2120 I used.

Last edited by duncanlowe; 26th Mar 2020 at 6:48 pm.
Closed Thread