UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2010, 3:22 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Ericsson N2120H - Provenance?

I have acquired what looks like an Ericsson N2120H magneto telephone as a 'fixer-upper', and it bears the letters 'P&T'. I presume this refers to Posts and Telecommunications, but where? Australia? Ireland? The railways? Attached are three photographs: The terminal cover, the case moulding stamp and the handset lozenge.

Unsure whether it's the original handset as it has four terminals, and the paster diagram (N75142) shows a three-terminal one.

Ideas, anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p&t_magneto_01.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	43395   Click image for larger version

Name:	p&t_magneto_02.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	43396   Click image for larger version

Name:	p&t_magneto_03.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	43397  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 1st Dec 2010, 8:08 pm   #2
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ericsson N2120H - Provenance?

Postal & Telecomms India? It pre-dates partition by a year and ITI by two so would presumably have been British-made.
Is it a telephone 184, a 164 with special extras?

Edit: Bob Freshwater has the N2120H as an Australian model . . .

Last edited by JCM3000; 1st Dec 2010 at 8:14 pm. Reason: Forgot something, as usual
Old 1st Dec 2010, 9:27 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Ericsson N2120H - Provenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM3000 View Post
Postal & Telecomms India?
Could be; thanks - never thought of that.

Quote:
so would presumably have been British-made.
I haven't had a good look at the components yet, as Ericsson models are usually marked with 'N'-numbers, and the only 'N'-number I've seen is on the paster diagram. The bakelite from which the case is made isn't as finer quality as I've seen on later (and earlier) models, so I'm guessing that the quality control wasn't there because of the war. I seem to recall reading something about the filler for the bakelite being perhaps sawdust!

Quote:
Is it a telephone 184, a 164 with special extras?
Not sure. I suspect the HMT is not original to the instrument, as it has four wires (like a field-telephone), and the paster diagram - which I take to be original to the telephone - shows three, being the usual commoned mic/receiver on red. When I get a little more into the restoration, I'll check out the wiring to see if it ties in with the paster diagram - it may be in a different case!

It's pretty basic, and hasn't got a capacitor in it. The last time I saw a telephone like this was for local communication on the Workington gas-works about forty-odd years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2120.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	43465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericsson-N2120H-cct-diag.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	43466  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.