UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2010, 9:55 am   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Odd Item Spotted - No Idea What it is

I spotted a weird piece of kit this weekend - I wonder if any GPO operatives would know what it is and what it was used for....

Imagine a small clock about 8 inches tall, square sides and back but curved top (like a bullet). The wooden case was very high quality and obviosuly an expensive piece of kit. Now, the 'face' of this clock like device had a single 'hand' that would swing left and right from a central point. Parts of the face were missing, so I have no idea what the needle would point at.

A brass screw at the back (top) held the back on, and there were two terminals, one on each side. Underneath there were two steel blocks pointing down to the base of the device - like it was used to detect a magnetic field?

GPO was stamped on the case at the back.

ANY IDEAS

I hate not knowing

SEAN
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 11:06 am   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Odd Item Spotted - No Idea What it is

Could it be one of these? :-

http://www.curiousscience.com/prop-h...2&categoryID=5

http://www.museumoftechnology.org.uk/expand.php?key=433

Regards, Mick.
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 11:24 am   #3
SeanStevens
Octode

You are a clever one!

From my poor description you have found it! Well done, here is your reward - a virtual beer

It is a pretty beast, but the one I saw has no dial, surround or glass. Still a very well made device - I wanted it, but just couldn't buy it so incomplete.

SEAN
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 12:28 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

Hello Sean, yes, I saw that one last week, the missing dial put me off too, it would have to go pretty cheaply what with it being so incomplete.
Neil