UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2019, 4:10 pm   #21
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Low voltage supply spike protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
One point that may make this project a non-starter, or at least difficult to implement, is the fact that the electrical system of the vehicle would appear to be positive earth. The FM/AM converter board you are intending to fit will be almost guaranteed to be negative earth (unless it has been specifically designed for positive earth working). The zener regulator design would lend itself to either positive or negative earth working, but the module will be difficult to reference to earth without a lot of careful thought and insulating etc.
Alan.

Hi Alan, I am making the converter, so no problem re the positive earth. If I use a ready made module I might have a problem.
I intend using a SMD voltage regulator to reduce the 12-14volts to 3v. with the PCB mounted inside the radio case I may be able to make use of the inbuilt protection.

John.
Old 30th Mar 2019, 6:21 pm   #22
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Low voltage supply spike protection?

Ah, right. Just trying to maybe save you wasted time on a what may have turned out to be a bit more tricky than first thought. It's happened to me more than once.
Alan.
Closed Thread