UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2014, 2:07 pm   #1
ecojanie
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Assistance Request for Inherited equipment

Hello and thank you for reading this post which I am not sure if I have posted in the right section, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My father died a few years ago and electronics was one of his interests. I did contact a couple of museums about donating the equipment and I never got any where. So what have I got?

HeathKit - Decade Resistance Model IN17 x 1, Decade Capactator Model IN27, Sine Square Audio Generator IG18, Electronic Switch ID 101.
Eagle Products K4100 Volt OHM Milliameter
Zenith Variable Transformer
Trio Kenwood 35MhZ Oscilloscope CS1577A

In addition to a whole stack of books on Transistors and Electronics.

I don't know if the electronic items are of any value - would appreciate some advice on this.

All the items are clean and are, knowing my Dad, in good working order - but I have no interest in keeping them and need to free up the space.

If you have any information or inspiration on values, or know of an institution that would benefit from this equipment then please get in touch.

With sincere thanks

Last edited by Station X; 11th Jul 2014 at 2:12 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 3:37 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Assistance Request for Inherited equipment

I would be interested in the capacitor decade but we will have to wait a little while as I thing the private messages may only work after you have contributed a few public posts.
Perhaps put a message into the buy sell section.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 3:47 pm   #3
paulsherwin

This is mainstream electronics hobbyist equipment and I doubt if any museum will be interested. You could sell it on eBay but it's unlikely to fetch a great deal of money. You can offer it for sale here on the forum, but you must offer it free of charge or state a specific asking price.

If offering it FOC, you can ask people to make a suitable donation to a charity of your choice.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 6:01 pm   #4
ecojanie
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Paul, What would you consider to be a suitable donation - I am completely clueless, as you can probably gather.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 7:31 pm   #5
paulsherwin

You could ask people to simply donate what the item is worth to them, or suggest a minimum such as 'FOC, but a minimum donation of £10 to Cancer Research UK will be expected'. You can't force people to make a donation but most people here will do the decent thing.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 9:36 pm   #6
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

You could also try contacting a few local amateur radio clubs in Herts

There's a few links to local clubs in the link below.

http://highfields-arc.co.uk/links/cl...fordshire.html

eg donate these items to a radio club.

Looking at your list of items these would (maybe) prove attractive to a club because they are the sort of test items that they could loan out to their members on request.

If the Kenwood scope is in nice condition then this ought to be enough incentive on its own to bring a senior club member to collect the whole lot from you and to also provide a charitable donation.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 10:24 pm   #7
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Ebay (including searching completed sales) can often give an indication of values.

The Heathkit resistance box has a bid at about £15 on ebay.com. As Heathkit is no longer made there is some appeal to collectors as well as people who would want a resistance box per se.

The oscilloscope sold for about £40 + postage on ebay.co.uk last year; one went unsold at about £50.
Old 12th Jul 2014, 7:30 am   #8
ecojanie
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all so much for your help, it is very much appreciated and has been very useful. I opened another box to check that it was just related books only to discover 3 more bits of technical looking Heathkit bits of kit! And the sad thing is I don't really understand what any of it is for.
Once again thanks, I will take your advice.
Old 12th Jul 2014, 4:15 pm   #9
threeseven
Octode

The IG-18 audio signal generator is a nice piece of kit, I still have one that I purchased in kit form from Heathkit in the late 70's and it is still working well. As the required frequency is selected by switches, each position having it's own capacitor, it may require a calibration check to ensure each position is providing the correct frequency. In essence though, it is a well made piece of equipment in a very high quality, robust chassis and case.
The Zenith variac is also a nice piece of equipment, a potential buyer would want to know the voltage range and also the current rating. If it seems to have had a lot of use the track may be worn in the most frequently used area, that needs checking also. If it appears in very good condition though, wear is unlikely to be a problem.
Old 15th Jul 2014, 9:26 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Janie, you could see if there is a forum member in you area who would come over to assist you with identifying the items and perhaps suggest prices.
Books are usually of interest to members here and a listing of titles would be useful. Depending on title these could possibly be sold for a few pounds including postage if you have the time etc to pack them.
Most old magazines are not worth a lot of money, but are heavy and cost a lot to post. It is usually better to sell them as a batch of a particular type and let members sort out the ones they want to complete their collections; they will then be passed on to others and so on.
Selection of components can be useful to members but normally require sorting. Some valves can be very valuable but most (old TV types are not). Listing valve numbers may help, but the easier way to sell parts may be to post a photograph of the box of bits.

HTH Ed
Old 15th Jul 2014, 10:49 pm   #11
Top Cap
Octode

I would certainly be interested in the resistance decade box. It is an item of kit that is normally sat in a cupboard, sometimes for years, until you have an experimental circuit on the bench and you wish to try some variables. It would probably cost me around £25 for the parts to build (a very nice man already gave me the resistors) but a ready built unit would save me my most precious commodity and that is time!