UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2022, 2:54 pm   #21
enryfox
Triode

Default Re: Is this Sony VCR worth repair ?

In the end I picked up a silver Sony SLV-SE710 from a local flea market for 10 EUR. It lacks the remote, but it can be easily found on e-bay.
S-mechanism, it is working fine, very clean inside, display still very bright; it appears to have very little hours of use. The top cover has scratches from a black TV, but for the price I cannot be too picky.
I would say mid to low range from 2001, but it seems to me still decently built, lot's of metal parts, hard plastic gears, heavily engineered design.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 3:40 pm   #22
JonSnell
Hexode

The SLV-SE710 was one of the better machines, just before software took over mechanical error correction, the way the camcorders went.
Pity VHS took over Betamax. Betamax was a better system in my view, almost as good as Video 2000 or Hi8.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 5:28 pm   #23
vhs doctor
Pentode

Hi

Very good deal.

This machine have the SR mechanism it was the last mechanism made by sony. After that sony used rebadged samsung machines.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 7:16 pm   #24
enryfox
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
This machine have the SR mechanism it was the last mechanism made by sony. After that sony used rebadged samsung machines.
The service manual says "SR mechanism" and refers to the VHS Mechanical VI guide which indeed is for the S mechanism, not sure which are the differences.
I have removed the head cleaning arm, the foam is still intact (and not a single trace of dirt) but it is 20 years old and I do not want to clog the heads with pieces of foam when it starts disintegrating.

I have another Samsung VCR from 2005 and the VHS mechanism looks more fragile, with very thin gears. It is still working perfectly fine, but I do not trust it to last many more years.

Last edited by enryfox; 23rd Jan 2022 at 7:26 pm.
Closed Thread