UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2022, 12:46 pm   #1
Aleks81
Diode

Default BrionVega Doney 14" broken piece

Hi,
Nice to meet you all! Today is my first post here, I hope someone can help me finding this little broken part...
I bought a Brionvega Doney 14" but is the reedition that they did in 2002
When I opened and there was a missing wire and it was clearly manipulated, after a lot of tests I discovered what piece was broken (the one marked by the green arrow). So I want to replace that piece but it doesn't have any part name marked on it so it's impossible to find it if I don't know what it is...
I will appreciate a lot if someone can tell me which part it or how to find it cause the rest of the TV works great.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brionvega1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	249440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brionvega2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	249442  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 10th Jan 2022 at 1:08 pm. Reason: Rule C4
Old 10th Jan 2022, 2:01 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: BrionVega Doney 14" broken piece

Hello and welcome.

Your green arrow points to an integrated circuit. It's probably the frame output IC which is responsible for deflecting the CRT's beam up and down, but it could be something else (it could also be the audio output chip, as the speaker seems to connect very near it).

Brionvega TVs are almost unknown in the UK except from books about interior design, but it's more than likely that the same "chassis" (i.e. the electronics inside the cabinet) are also found in a model made in about 2002 which does exist here. This part is probably sourced from China or Turkey in spite of the "Made in Italy" label.

Could you post some pictures of the insides of the TV, please?
Old 10th Jan 2022, 2:07 pm   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

Have you removed it? Not unknown for them to be mounted upside down, marking may be on other side.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 2:35 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

The soldering iron burn on what looks like the speaker connector is a tell tail sign that it has been got at by someone who does not know how to disconnect the plug.
Old 10th Jan 2022, 3:03 pm   #5
elanman99
Hexode

There appears to be a loudspeaker symbol next to the connector so in all probability the IC will be the audio amplifier.

Whilst there are quite a few audio amplifier chips it should be possible to identify a replacement, starting with its physical details (size, shape. number of pins and spacing etc) Measuring any voltages present also should enable you to work out which are power, ground, input etc.

Ian
Old 10th Jan 2022, 4:17 pm   #6
Aleks81
Diode

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my bad explanation but the broken part is the black plastic piece. I know is that cause with all cables welded the TV doesn't turno on but if I puss hard that piece then it turn on and start working. So I'm 99% sure that changing that black piece it will work.

Sorry but I don't know how to call that piece in english haha
Old 10th Jan 2022, 4:21 pm   #7
Aleks81
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Hello and welcome.

Your green arrow points to an integrated circuit. It's probably the frame output IC which is responsible for deflecting the CRT's beam up and down, but it could be something else (it could also be the audio output chip, as the speaker seems to connect very near it).

Brionvega TVs are almost unknown in the UK except from books about interior design, but it's more than likely that the same "chassis" (i.e. the electronics inside the cabinet) are also found in a model made in about 2002 which does exist here. This part is probably sourced from China or Turkey in spite of the "Made in Italy" label.

Could you post some pictures of the insides of the TV, please?
Is the black plastic piece, but I don't know the name in english of that... but if I push that piece then the TV work and at the moment I release pressure turns off...
I don't have the TV with me right know cause it's in my father in law house, but I do have a rear image of the board.
Totally agree that this re edition that they made in 2002 is China / Turkey sourced

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 10th Jan 2022 at 5:48 pm. Reason: Please put the pictures in the post don't link to external sites
Old 10th Jan 2022, 5:54 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

Some posts have been deleted because they repeat the same point but what's clear is that pressure has to be applied to the integrated circuit not to the connector.

To me it looks as if the heat damage was done when that great big blob of solder was added to the leg of the IC in the second picture of post#1

Perhaps the leg has fractured close to the packaging?

Cheers

Mike T
Old 10th Jan 2022, 7:18 pm   #9
John123
Heptode

A similar-looking chassis pictured in the first post of this thread (note the bottom-right corner).

As a side-note, I've seen the remote control for one of these, and it's near-identical to one that I had with a Bush 17" set. I recall it featured an LG-Philips flat-faced tube, and would respond to Philips remotes also, but I digress..
Old 10th Jan 2022, 7:32 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

The chassis is likely Italian made, using a Philips chipset. The audio output chip looks like Philips as well. It's strange that the TV turning on or not, depends on it.

Since it's located right behind the power supply, there could be something wrong there. Maybe a cracked track or a bad solder connection.

Or the audio output chip is shorted and shuts the set down when connected.
Old 11th Jan 2022, 1:03 am   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

Going by the fact that the chip has suffered a plumbing solder attack and is intermittently shutting the set down a clean up and resolder of the track side pins will most likely see the set working again.
Closed Thread