UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2022, 7:45 pm   #21
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: Cheap probe leads and banana plugs

Simon, thanks. I guess I should have called a spade a spade.... although I associate that term with the crimp-on types as often used in the automobile and sometimes in the white goods industry. I take it any flat connectors can be called spade connectors then regardless of their actual shape?

Alistaid D, there's some AVO leads on eBay here with a case:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224789252...item34567bc827

Both have insulated connectors.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 9:17 pm   #22
Alistair D
Nonode

Thanks for that Wavey but I need the spade version as my early Avo 8 does not have sockets only screw connections.

Have a look at the first picture on this link.

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/avo8.html

Al
Old 24th Jan 2022, 1:04 am   #23
Herald1360
Dekatron

You can make usable spade connectors by butchering 6mm or 8mm ring crimp terminals. A bit of added heatshrink for strain relief and the job's a good'un
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Jan 2022, 11:15 am   #24
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Ah, I see. Did't realise there were models without the banana socket.

I have a good set of the spaded type of leads which I would gladly swap for a good set of the shielded type.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 1:53 pm   #25
richard.cs
Triode

There are a couple of ebay sellers that list components from RS and Farnell, and if you order them they buy on your behalf using their business accounts (which have much smaller minimum orders) and they are shipped straight to you. It was a bit of a surprise the first time an ebay order came direct from Farnell. Obviously there is a mark-up, but it can be cheaper than going with minimum order plus postage.

My experience of cheap high-resistance Chinese cabling is that it tends to be steel with a very poor copper plating. Generally immediately obvious from the leads being magnetic, but also from the strands being far stiffer than copper. Of course there are plenty of good quality cable assemblies available from China, but the bad ones can be very bad.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 6:07 pm   #26
Goldie99
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.cs View Post
There are a couple of ebay sellers that list components from RS and Farnell, and if you order them they buy on your behalf using their business accounts (which have much smaller minimum orders) and they are shipped straight to you. It was a bit of a surprise the first time an ebay order came direct from Farnell. Obviously there is a mark-up, but it can be cheaper than going with minimum order plus postage
I'm afraid, in my opinion, that's the sort of 'business' model that forces extra costs onto the rest of us. The eBay seller makes his mark up, as does eBay, and RS or Farnell simply get stuck with the shipping costs, then people wonder why RS introduced larger minimum order quantities per item. As it happens, I have business accounts with both - but I won't 'abuse' them with minimal orders costing little more, or even less than, the postage costs.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 6:17 pm   #27
richard.cs
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
I'm afraid, in my opinion, that's the sort of 'business' model that forces extra costs onto the rest of us. The eBay seller makes his mark up, as does eBay, and RS or Farnell simply get stuck with the shipping costs, then people wonder why RS introduced larger minimum order quantities per item. As it happens, I have business accounts with both - but I won't 'abuse' them with minimal orders costing little more, or even less than, the postage costs.
Well, the suppliers know full well that they make losses on small orders on business accounts, and that's a price they pay to get the large orders from at least some of those same accounts. My place routinely make <£5 orders, sometimes every day of the week, but then we also buy thousands of pounds worth of components from them in large orders on other days, that we might get from elsewhere if we didn't use those suppliers so routinely in prototyping, so it works out.

I agree it probably breaches the Farnell and RS Ts and Cs and those ebay sellers might get banned at some point. Or maybe Farnell will start a "you only get X free-shipping small orders a year" policy. I have seen the same thing with ebay sellers fronting Amazon Prime.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 10:04 pm   #28
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

I always report sellers fronting prime or business accounts.
It is just not on.
Closed Thread