UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2023, 9:57 am   #41
Phil__G
Octode

Default Re: Advanced Mk14 Enhancements

*click*
Old 19th Apr 2023, 7:11 pm   #42
Phil__G
Octode

Thanks Mark, that makes sense now. I'm pondering an SC/MP board for the RC2014 and was thinking if I hard wire 'down' & 'up' to ground then I can have a NIBL ROM in page zero enabled by carry-out, and a KitbugPlus ROM in page F enabled by borrow out. Maybe two separate roms, maybe one 8k rom split in two, not worked the addressing out yet.

From $1000-$EFFF would be NVRAM, or, maybe ditch the monitor rom and have the top 4k of nvram write-protected for the monitor by gating NWDS with borrow out.

Maybe even ditch the ROMs altogether and just have a 64k NVRAM with NIBL also write-protected in page zero again by gating NWDS with carry out. That might be the easiest.

The idea is that it would run NIBL, Karens PAGE2.SYS and KitbugPlus.
Hopefully

I wonder if anyone tried latching DB6, I'm thinking that would light an LED to indicate that we're in a delay?

Last edited by Phil__G; 19th Apr 2023 at 7:17 pm.
Old 23rd Apr 2023, 4:55 pm   #43
Mark1960
Octode

I think an 8060 board for the RC2014 bus would be good to allow access to the various modules. I have a couple of unfinished boards for something similar, an MK14 compatible display and keyboard for RC2014 bus, and INS8060 board. I think the INS8060 board should try and support multiprocessing.

I like the idea of making it 64k ram, then copy from eprom on boot.

Another interesting option would be a PICL board compatible with RC2014 bus, which could be a bit cheaper to source parts.
Old 27th Apr 2023, 4:58 pm   #44
Brian of Romsey
Triode

Hi,

Maybe consider RCBUS rather than RC2014. See https://smallcomputercentral.com/rcbus/ for details.

I'd agree with the idea of trying to support multi processor, but only as an engineering challenge. TBH, I'm not sure there's much practical advantage.

Cheers, Brian.
Old 27th Apr 2023, 5:14 pm   #45
Brian of Romsey
Triode

Further info, you can find RCBUS discussion here: https://groups.google.com/g/retro-comp/c/XAmVsfJ-wPo
Closed Thread