UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Mar 2021, 6:14 pm   #21

Default Re: Tim Hunkin [Secret Life of Machines] has a new series!

On Tim's https://www.timhunkin.com/ website there are links to remastered versions of the old programmes. I am currently downloading them.

Old 9th Mar 2021, 7:41 am   #22
mark_in_manc
Octode

Somehow I missed these on telly (I think they arrived in a patch where I didn't have a telly!) and I ignored this thread so far as (I think) I thought it would be another sentimental-brass-band-music-and-manufactured-jeopardy program.

But this is real engineering coupled with art, humour and political subversion. It's really really good
Old 9th Mar 2021, 10:12 am   #23
knobtwiddler
Octode

Ditto to the comments so far. Thank you for the heads up - I wouldn't have known otherwise. I can't wait to take our young lad to his arcade in Holborn when it's back open.
Old 9th Mar 2021, 9:57 pm   #24
andrewferguson
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
On Tim's https://www.timhunkin.com/ website there are links to remastered versions of the old programmes. I am currently downloading them.
Yes, they look like really good quality remasters - and they've got extra commentary from present-day Tim at the end, talking about the filming of each episode!

This is tremendously exciting (at least, I find it so) and I will certainly be giving these a re-watch.

Quick edit: the description for the remastered videos provides some info about the remastering process, for those curious:

Quote:
Remastered and upscaled by Norman Margolus from a 1987 PAL tape made directly from the 16mm print, using machine learning software from Topaz labs

Last edited by andrewferguson; 9th Mar 2021 at 10:09 pm.
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 12:29 am   #25
stevenkw2t
Triode

I'm pleased to report that the Secret Life of Components has now reached episode 5. That makes:
1. Chain
2. LEDs
3. Hinges
4. Switches
5. Springs
Eldest son has borrowed the car for the long weekend so I'll be educating myself at home.
Closed Thread