UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2020, 9:57 pm   #41
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Ideas needed to build a new 'old TV'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
This post is really just for a bit of fun, it gives me a bit of faith that the project may actually work, or at least has a chance.
Hi Adrian, I know that feeling! It has all the hallmarks of a project that is on track and shaping up towards success.

Quote:
It was good to see the frame and line locking in action.
Yes! That's a big old tick there. Nice to see this coming along so well!
Old 27th Nov 2020, 10:41 am   #42
AdrianH
Octode

A bit of progress, not much, but some. I have to decide on which CRT method of doing video modulation I am going to use, cathode or grid?

So I am going to put down my thoughts here as a way of getting feedback, and basically trying to get it correct in my grey matter.

WRT Volts, the grid is negative to the cathode, so positive going video (-sync) will brighten the screen on video peaks. Negative going video (+sync) applied to the cathode will brighten the screen on negative peaks. At this point I am working on using the grid for video input and varying the cathode to provide fixed brightness.

Not knowing how much voltage swing I need from black to white I am making an assumption of 50 Volts maximum.

The plan using a DG7-5 CRT is to have the final anode at +HT of 230 Volts, which means that the cathode is down at around -600 Volts, this as it is relatively easy to use a voltage doubler from the mains transformer secondary to provide this negative volts using the normal HT to provide the 800 to 900 Volts required for the tube. It also means that the deflection plates are within the normal HT range approx 200 Volts. The down side is a separate 6.3 Volt heater winding for the CRT.

I have issues which I am not getting through, one is DC restoration of the video as it has to be in the -600 Volt area, the second frame flyback suppression, using the screen grid from the frame miller timebase as a blanking pulse to drive the CRT grid when that is the video input?

Anyway this is the circuit diagram to date.

personnalTV.pdf

Adrian

Also on GVR.
Old 6th Dec 2020, 6:25 pm   #43
AdrianH
Octode

The IF section build can be found on GVR

OK a bit of an update, progress is slow as I work things through in my head, but within the recent CRT's I got was what I believed to be a 2AP1 tube, with a loose base that fell off whilst handling. So after spending some time with it I thought I would try and see if I could use it.

I am using grid modulation and varying the cathode for brightness, there is quite a low allowed voltage difference between Cathode and Heater on this tube so I had to use a separate 6 volt transformer for the heaters and allow it to float or connect one side of the Heater to Cathode.

This is the death trap for the unwary at the moment.
Click image for larger version

Name:	deathtrap1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	221985Click image for larger version

Name:	deathtrap2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	221986

It is displaying the test card from Hedghog, I can not focus it, the focus voltage being done for the DG7-5 not this tube, so either I modify the blue box on the back or fit the other tube.

Name:	2AP1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	221987

I had major issues with hum bars and trying to find where they came from, in the end, it was a mixture of EHT ripple and heater to cathode ripple both sorted by caps to ground.

I hope to make things a bit better later tonight or tomorrow, My caps between the timebases at plates are at their very limit, so I need to find some 0.1uF at 1 or 1.5 KV.

Adrian

Last edited by AdrianH; 6th Dec 2020 at 6:33 pm.
Old 8th Dec 2020, 5:53 pm   #44
Freya
Octode

liking it very much so far.
Old 8th Dec 2020, 6:12 pm   #45
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Consider using the small MW6-2 that is used in projection sets. It will give a bright focused picture at 6KV. Scan power is miniscule at this low EHT and an ECL80 will give masses of line and frame scan. I've even driven the line scan coils from my phones head phone socket!
Separate EHT is easy enough from all sorts of methods from either a ringing transformer like in the projection sets, to Chinese EHT modules and the less safe option of mains derived. Of course flyback EHT could be employed, I've even had success with Russian Rod Pentode's giving sufficient drive.
A great project to do, it reminds me to get back to my MW6 - 2 project
Good luck
For that tube I have a scan coils assembly currently up for grabs in the for sale page.
Old 9th Dec 2020, 1:17 am   #46
AdrianH
Octode

Did a bit more to the temp chassis today, I was wary of the way I had the CRT mounted so turned a nylon tube, mounting it and the CRT base to the wooden upright, fitting the tube and sliding felt between the neck and tube to add support.

Name:	crtholder.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	222150
It should be mounted in a metal shield etc, but not having one this is my alternative.

Also a few component changes to the filed timebase gave me a bit more output, and equal push pull outputs. I know there is a slight curve to the frame output but not bad.

Name:	screen4.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	222151

You have pm Steve.

Adrian
Old 20th Dec 2020, 8:02 pm   #47
AdrianH
Octode

An update to this today using the EHT generator and one of the other CRT's I have.

People may wonder I have some form of death wish, but honestly I do not, I just work in a hap-hazard way with wires all over the place.

Name:	deathtrap4.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	222903
So I have the transformer PSU driving the make shift TV as it is, the small DG7-5 CRT is pulled from it's socket and wires soldered to the back of the socket going to another socket for a 5 inch CRT.

The EHT generator is powered by a 12 Volt buck to supply 250 Volt HT and 6.3 V for heaters. That is powered by my small bench PSU bottom left. The DVM is monitoring the EHT and the final should be 20 x reading.

I am trying a '5EP1'. This is a CRT with post acceleration, I thought I would try a situation where I am still using the voltages for the DG7-5 on the CRT but have approx 2000 Volts plus on the final anode.

As I am using grid modulation and varying the cathode for brightness then the brightness control can effect the focus etc.

I was surprised to find it did actually work OK with minimal tweaks to the Knobs. The final EHT when playing was at 2400 Volts.

I am over scanning the height by quite a bit so need to include a height control, looking with my eyes direct at the screen I can just make out the 2MHz grating, so not so bad after all.

Name:	5inchscreen.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	222904
It shows to me I can take the TV a bit further. I need to get hold of some better transformers as I need more heater current as I am very close to the limit for this one which is why the EHT unit is on a separate supply.

I also need to find a suitable adhesive that is thin enough to poor into the CRT base that will re-stick it, I hate the prospect of un soldering the CRT base cleaning and then sticking it back on with araldite, I will ending breaking wires off doing it yet.

Adrian
Old 28th Jan 2021, 11:22 pm   #48
AdrianH
Octode

I re-boxed the 'TV' over the previous few days and got it working today with the 5 inch 5CP1 . Think I need to change a few values on the A1 and A2 electrodes to remove a bit or barrelling on the picture.

https://youtu.be/md1DwCDHfzI

All fun.

Adrian
Old 29th Jan 2021, 10:47 am   #49
peter_scott
Dekatron

Nice linear scans.

Peter
Old 29th Jan 2021, 11:48 pm   #50
1100 man
Octode

Hi Adrian,

I'm very impressed with the picture on the Youtube video - they really are very linear scans.

A huge amount of work to achieve and its been interesting following your progress.

Well done!

Cheers
Nick
Old 30th Jan 2021, 12:05 am   #51
AdrianH
Octode

Well thanks for the comments Peter and Nick appreciated.

It has been sort of fun and sort of frustrating at times. I need to figure some sort of sound IF and get the response reasonably sharp for the audio around 50KHz, that is just a guess as to what it could be. May even try using some 5840 miniature Pentodes I have somewhere and an existing small valve audio amp.

Also need a better heater supply some how.

But the next thing for the box is a mask for the CRT, some holes for ventilation and a side cover, it is all something to do.

Adrian
Old 30th Jan 2021, 12:07 am   #52
AdrianH
Octode

Just a thought on the general subject, to think this was popular thing to do late 40's to early 50's.

Adrian
Old 1st Feb 2021, 6:57 pm   #53
jhalphen
Hexode

Hi to all,

@AdrianH : great achievement,Bravo !

Just for the fun of it, read about a similar endeavour by two French guys, Frederic A. & Pierre G. on their web site.

A Miniature CRT Monitor.
- All tube design
- Every important section (Scanning, Video Amplication, Sync, Power supply) is studied in fine detail with an analysis of the Pro's & Con's of each design.
- Loads of Scope photos
Link is via Google translate Fr to English :

https://translate.google.com/transla...pouces-01.html

Also a lot of vintage radio projects on the main site Home page :
http://www.cfp-radio.com/

Sample off-screen photo of the finished monitor (see below)

Best Regards
jhalphen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9EE1A8EA-B76E-4BCB-A480-F443A1B098F2.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	225742  

Last edited by jhalphen; 1st Feb 2021 at 7:10 pm.
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 1:26 am   #54
FrankB
Heptode

I believe there were some articles in "Radio-TV Experimenter" magazine, "Radio News" magazine, or "Electronics World" magazine back in the 50's-70's with articles on how to turn a scope into a tv set. I do remember reading 1-2 articles on doing that. IIRC one used a PPI surplus indicator scope.
You might try looking the info up in your libraries "Readers Guide to Periolodical (sp) Literature for articles on conversion. HTH
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 3:08 pm   #55
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
I re-boxed the 'TV' over the previous few days and got it working today with the 5 inch 5CP1 .

Hi Adrian,

Neat project and fantastic results. I hope you can find more video with the right aspect ratio for your set.
Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Al
Old 2nd Feb 2021, 4:00 pm   #56
AdrianH
Octode

@jhalphen

I have watched your videos thanks. It is good to see that others are still building and playing with valves and not just building audio amps for guitars. Have since come across valve logic circuits, a few doing TV's, one gentleman from Malaysia making his own scan coils (transistorised) for old RADAR tubes. Another doing logic circuits in valves etc, goes to show that there is good interest out there.

@FrankB;

I am probably finding too many articles from the era, it was, I believe when there was a major expansion in electronics to the common person, surplus military equipment was hitting the market and magazines were expanding to serve the curious minds giving many the opportunity to take part.

@Al

I am slowing getting some simple videos, Interludes, ' the potters Wheel', 'The kitten' 'Your Town'. These are the type of thing I like. There was one I seem to remember about the restoration of an old car, and painted by the owner and a young girl with a hoover! Not sure if that would be good on the green screen as it was a colour one. But some f the other Interludes or Engineering videos would be nice to get hold of. More searching some time is needed.

Adrian
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 1:20 am   #57
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
@jhalphen
, Interludes, ' the potters Wheel', 'The kitten' 'Your Town'. These are the type of thing I like. There was one I seem to remember about the restoration of an old car, and painted by the owner and a young girl with a hoover! Not sure if that would be good on the green screen as it was a colour one.

Adrian
Completely the wrong era I would say!

https://youtu.be/S2lVR59V1bo?t=988
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 1:26 am   #58
AdrianH
Octode

Thanks I would have between the ages of 4 and 14 with that.

Adrian
Old 18th Feb 2021, 6:56 pm   #59
AdrianH
Octode

I built a simple sound IF board to add to the TV, two EF91 Mil type valves and EB91 equiv. Used an external audio amp as that is not part of the set yet.

Youtube video here https://youtu.be/UHnmOmn_gPw

I seem to have picked up a copyright infringement for the Potters Wheel soundtrack, so I will have to come up with some suitable 'program' to play on my TV's if I do future videos.

Adrian
Old 16th Apr 2021, 2:42 pm   #60
AdrianH
Octode

Just an update as the TV does still get played with and bits added from time to time.
One of the things i was struggling with was heater current, I had reached the end of the transformers rating (ex surplus from here).

I had approached a couple of transformer winders in the UK to see if they would do a custom build for me. They basically said no it would be to expensive and generally would not leave the decision to me what is expensive or not, i.e. I would not get a response or quote from them.

So I bought a transformer for a guitar amp, which was way OTT for what I wanted and still not used it. When the transformer arrived it had another makers label attached.

So another email sent asking the question about a transformer of the following: -

UK Mains 240 Volt input, with full isolation to:
5 Volt heater at 2 Amps.
6.3 Volt heaters at 6 Amps
250 - 0 - 250 Volts at 200 mA.
Fully shrouded with connecting wires. If my maths is correct this is close to 100VA.

I had a quote back that I was happy with, even when I added the delivery charge and VAT I still thought reasonable.

Not sure about giving details out here so i will not.

It arrived and replaced the existing transformer on the PSU, I added the sound IF board added to the box and all tested OK.

So the next thing I need to add before I can call this project sort of 'finished' is a single ended audio amp and speaker.

Planning on using an ECL80 as I seem to have one, hoping that will be plenty for the small box to give sound.

I need to find a small SE output transformer for it and then will take it from there.

Adrian
Closed Thread