UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Service Manuals, Circuit Diagrams and Data Sheets Wanted

Notices

Service Manuals, Circuit Diagrams and Data Sheets Wanted If you need help finding service data post a message here. Please do not request or offer data that is available from www.service-data.com

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2023, 7:24 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Sony Walkman Service Manual

Looking for the Service Manual/Circuit Diagram for a Sony Walkman WM-B15?

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th May 2023, 8:31 pm   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Sony Walkman Service Manual

I can help with this. Will PM you.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 2:29 pm   #3
DonaldStott
Octode

With help and support from Forum Member agardiner (Adrian) i have made slow but steady progress with repairing this Sony Walkman WM-B15.

Repairs to broken tracks have brought the motor back to life but there are issues on the audio side that we have traced back to the LA4570 IC (IC301 on the Service Sheet).

I cannot, however, find a source for a replacement SMD LA4570 IC although 16 Pin DIL versions are available from Cricklewood.

This is the IC in question but very unsure about the package type:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	LA4570.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	281118

If a replacement cannot be found how do I go about finding an equivalent?
Old 10th Jul 2023, 7:26 pm   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

No equivalent as far as I can see. A lot of chips have gone obsolete over the years unfortunately with no direct equivalent, some chips are just made for the particular device especially if it's a high volume production run. My advice to anyone doing repairs is to check supply of parts before going too far, it's very discouraging when all the time you spend is wasted due to obsolete parts.
Before all is lost try eBay.
Certainly in the early 90's these were still coming in for repair when I worked with Sony. It wasn't the top of the range but not the bottom end which were just exchange models, it hailes from 1985, parts were only supplied for 10 years until stocks would be exhausted, hence the reason they are hard to get

Last edited by murphyv310; 10th Jul 2023 at 7:34 pm.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 8:43 pm   #5
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Trevor

I was progressing quite well with this and had narrowed down the audio issues to the LA4570 IC.

I note what you say i.e. "My advice to anyone doing repairs is to check supply of parts before going too far, it's very discouraging when all the time you spend is wasted due to obsolete parts" but as it's my first foray into Walkman territory I had no idea what to expect. I undertook the usual online searches including this and other Forums but there were no instances I could find of a faulty LA4570 IC.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 9:42 pm   #6
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
No equivalent as far as I can see. A lot of chips have gone obsolete over the years unfortunately with no direct equivalent, some chips are just made for the particular device especially if it's a high volume production run. My advice to anyone doing repairs is to check supply of parts before going too far, it's very discouraging when all the time you spend is wasted due to obsolete parts.
Before all is lost try eBay.
Certainly in the early 90's these were still coming in for repair when I worked with Sony. It wasn't the top of the range but not the bottom end which were just exchange models, it hailes from 1985, parts were only supplied for 10 years until stocks would be exhausted, hence the reason they are hard to get
Thanks Trevor

I was progressing quite well with this and had narrowed down the audio issues to the LA4570 IC.

I note what you say i.e. "My advice to anyone doing repairs is to check supply of parts before going too far, it's very discouraging when all the time you spend is wasted due to obsolete parts" but as it's my first foray into Walkman territory I had no idea what to expect. I undertook the usual online searches including this and other Forums but there were no instances I could find of a faulty LA4570 IC.
That doesn't mean they "don't" go faulty! Those that did these for a living in the dim and distance past will know from what we did. Sony got very bad for parts from the early naughties. My prize from the 1997 Service Competition in Milan an MZ-R30 Minidisc has no parts available now, very annoying as I've Minidiscs of family from 1997 and onward.
Closed Thread