UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2023, 8:22 am   #21
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: P.A.R. tape recorders

As I'd begun to suspect, it looks as though the P.a.R. Allegro and the Allegro Contessa may be exactly the same machine.
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:31 am   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Another mention of Peter Rispoli on p.12 of this magazine from 1978: https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Mus...1978-11-11.pdf

He seems to have been involved with "Hamstead HiFi", if I've interpreted it correctly.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 23rd May 2023 at 9:38 am.
Old 23rd May 2023, 2:51 pm   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
As I'd begun to suspect, it looks as though the P.a.R. Allegro and the Allegro Contessa may be exactly the same machine.
There is a very brief reference to Allego/PAR Electronics in Barry's (brenellic2000) "A guide to British tape recorders". He refers to the Allegro Contessa, so maybe implying that Contessa was the model name and Allego the manufacturers name, i.e. there may not have been a PAR Allegro model.

David
Old 23rd May 2023, 3:18 pm   #24
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...which sort of fits in with what PaulRK quoted in post 6, but it's all a bit convoluted!

Quote:
'P.a.R. Electronics will be known as "Allegro" Sound Equipment from 1st. October 1960. They will continue to produce the "Allegro" tape recorder, and will introduce a twin channel integrated Stereo Amplifier. This will have 6 watts per channel, and be known as the "Allegro 66" Stereo. Mr. P.A.Rispoli, the founder of P.a.R. Electronics will be Managing Director of this new venture, and will continue to operate from 7 Avery Row, Mayfair, London, W.1.'
Old 23rd May 2023, 4:19 pm   #25
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
... i.e. there may not have been a PAR Allegro model.

David
Except P.a.R. Electronics changed its name to Allegro Sound Equipment when they had already been producing the "Allegro" tape recorder, and the photo in the first post of the thread appears to show a "P.a.R. Allegro" with no mention of Contessa. So I'm more inclined to doubt whether a "Contessa"-badged unit was ever produced, as it seems possible the name was only used in advertising.
Old 23rd May 2023, 5:23 pm   #26
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
There is a very brief reference to Allego/PAR Electronics in Barry's (brenellic2000) "A guide to British tape recorders". He refers to the Allegro Contessa, so maybe implying that Contessa was the model name and Allego the manufacturers name, i.e. there may not have been a PAR Allegro model.

David
Eh?

Go back and look at the first post in this thread, that I made. And the accompanying photograph.

The machine is CLEARLY branded "P.a.R Allegro"
Old 23rd May 2023, 7:40 pm   #27
Cathovisor
Banned

Some more pictures of the machine. I always thought that block serif font that Collaro used looked really rubbish!

Click image for larger version

Name:	par allegro_2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	278642

Name:	par allegro_3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	278643

Name:	par allegro_4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	278644

It seems to have used an ECL82 and possibly an EZ80 as rectifier in its chassis along with something else in a screening can. I can't see a record function, unless it's that completely non-interlocked three-position rotary switch on the left...
Old 23rd May 2023, 8:43 pm   #28
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Quote:

David
Eh?

Go back and look at the first post in this thread, that I made. And the accompanying photograph.

Yes I did clearly see it but wondered when I saw only the Allegro Contessa referenced in the book, if the "PAR Allegro" identification was just the manufacturing names.

David
Old 23rd May 2023, 8:53 pm   #29
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

David
Eh?

Yes I did clearly see it but wondered when I saw only the Allegro Contessa referenced in the book, if the "PAR Allegro" identification was just the manufacturing names.

David
It's not unknown for errors to creep into books. I have a railway book here on the Hixon crash that contains such a massive error that ideally it should be tossed in the recycling bin to stop that error propagating.

There are a number of errors in Radio! Radio!, for example.
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:52 pm   #30
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I don't think there need be any error here. Clearly the P.a.R. Allegro was produced, as Cathovisor has one: clearly an Allegro Contessa was at least advertised as available; and the evidence points to their being almost, if not exactly, the same machine. Of necessity the parts of Barry's book covering obscure machines such as this will have been compiled much more from announcements, advertisements, catalogues etc. than from examining the actual recorders, as they're extremely rare if not extinct. As I've said, my main doubt is as to whether a revised control panel was ever produced to identify later recorders as Allegro Contessas, because it seems by no means impossible that customers ordering an Allegro Contessa, whether in kit form or ready assembled, may have been supplied with a machine badged as a P.a.R. Allegro.

Paul
Old 24th May 2023, 7:35 am   #31
brenellic2000
Octode

As Paul says, when researching my book, 'A Guide to British tape-recorders' I was heavily dependent upon published contemporary material (books, magazines, manufacturers' literature) and contemporaneous accounts by those who where there.

But what is truth? Magazines (and newspapers) are notorious for errors, usually unintentional through editing to fit available space: alas these are rarely corrected in later editions while low-volume published books rarely get to see a corrected 2nd or 3rd edition. I keep the Guide - and my other books - up to date: it's hard work, especially with Parkinson's!

Being human, even contemporaneous accounts suffer from human error/lapse of memory within minutes of the event - but these are accepted and repeated as 'gospel' - especially on the ad nauseum internet - THE most dangerous place to research!

As to adverts, these are mere "invitations to treat", promising the earth, usually with photos of pre-production models taken months earlier, which may account for the anomalies Paul mentions. As Dennis Barratt of Smiths watches once famously said: "advertising is one thing and fact another!".

As to the insignificant PAR/Allegro, most businesses are known by their trade or brand name while many shops sold 'badge engineered' products carrying their name. How much influence they had is another matter! That's business! The 'Allegro' s was short lived - l wonder why?

There is/was an association with Film Industries (microphones?) but l've never discovered what!

Barry
Old 26th May 2023, 12:23 am   #32
llama
Octode

re post #27, I believe early Studio decks didn't have the interlock that was fitted as a red slide-down extra on top of the Start button.
Graham
Old 26th May 2023, 12:37 pm   #33
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The "something else" (Post 27) is highly likely to have been an ECC83. The round heads in your photo are the original Collaro ones. These only had a modest HF performance. Yes, the early Studio decks did not have any kind of interlock.
Old 26th May 2023, 12:59 pm   #34
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
re post #27, I believe early Studio decks didn't have the interlock that was fitted as a red slide-down extra on top of the Start button.
Graham
I must confess I've had a few Collaro Studio decks through my hands over the years and have never seen that red interlock; I wonder how I've managed to miss them all?

At one point I was planning to make a playback-only machine using a Studio deck and cribbed circuitry from a Studer B62 for the replay electronics!
Old 26th May 2023, 2:36 pm   #35
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Ref post #27 - the labelling does look very Wild West Saloon Bar!

Luckily my Elizabethan LZ29 incorporates the buttons into their moulding with a far more subdued font - and it has the sliding interlock! Luxury.
Old 26th May 2023, 3:14 pm   #36
paulsherwin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Is that a crude attempt to make a scale for a magic eye VU meter, or is is a coil type?
The former.
Quite a few early 60s tape recorders had a transparent red band around the middle of the EM84 to indicate overload. It made it a bit more obvious, and also had the side effect of increasing the effective sensitivity of the EM84.

Mullard claimed that the EM84 was accurate enough to actually be used with a calibrated scale.
Old 26th May 2023, 3:17 pm   #37
ricard
Octode

Wasn't it also the case that the EM84 when connected as recommended in the datasheet did not have overlapping bands (which the later EM87 did)? This did not stop certain manufacturers from introducing overlap anyway when using the EM84 (if I remember correctly from Grundig schematics, it was simply a question of putting a resistor in series with the target electrode, which also had the unfortunate effect of reducing the brightness somewhat).
Old 26th May 2023, 3:44 pm   #38
paulsherwin

That's news to me - you learn something new every day
Old 27th May 2023, 10:53 am   #39
Station X

Quote:
I must confess I've had a few Collaro Studio decks through my hands over the years and have never seen that red interlock; I wonder how I've managed to miss them all?
Picture showing interlock attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2247.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	278803  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th May 2023, 12:37 pm   #40
Cathovisor
Banned

Well I never.

Never seen that before on any Collaro deck I've handled.
Closed Thread