UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2023, 1:29 pm   #21
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Resistor Question. Hacker Talisman GP46.

Agreed - should be red, red, black, red, brown.

A check on the DC voltages must be done as a matter of course. As I said earlier, the DC conditions must be correct for an audio amplifier before the signal is considered. If you don't know roughly what sort of voltages to expect, the manual contains a list of DC voltages.

The manual is available from here: https://www.service-data.com/product...25/3488/m12625
Old 25th May 2023, 1:40 pm   #22
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrogram View Post
Replacement resistor red red black brown = 2200 ohms ?
I always measure all replacement resistors before soldering them in place. It can be quite hard to distinguish the colours on modern resistors.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th May 2023, 3:36 pm   #23
paul1962
Pentode

Quote:
Hi electrogram

Yes .. red=2 X2
Black =0
Brown = 10 multiplier

Thus 220 X10 = 2.2k or 2200 ohms
Old 25th May 2023, 3:55 pm   #24
paul1962
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
Agreed - should be red, red, black, red, brown.

A check on the DC voltages must be done as a matter of course. As I said earlier, the DC conditions must be correct for an audio amplifier before the signal is considered. If you don't know roughly what sort of voltages to expect, the manual contains a list of DC voltages.

The manual is available from here: https://www.service-data.com/product...25/3488/m12625
Many thanks for this mhennessy

I wasn't sure if the manual available was the full manual or just the schematics (as a lot are these days) and thank you for the link.
I do agree that if an amp isn't getting correct voltages, then there is no way it can amplify as it should. My circuit diagram only shows the 30v input from the power supply, which is reading correct .
Old 25th May 2023, 4:42 pm   #25
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
It can be quite hard to distinguish the colours on modern resistors.
Yes it certainly can be difficult, sometimes some of the colours on modern resistors look like a completely different colour, does anybody know why this is ?

David
Old 25th May 2023, 5:05 pm   #26
mhennessy
Dekatron

I've always assumed that back in the day when resistors were usually inserted by hand, they had to be easily read by humans.

Whereas later when resistors were more typically inserted by machines, it's just a case of placing the start of the bandolier in the machine and letting the magic happen. Of course, the operator only needs to read the label on the box containing the bandolier. So there's much less incentive to worry about the quality of the colour bands. The light blue backgrounds that are so very commonly used to denote metal film resistors really don't help IMHO.

Many years ago I was given some bandoliers from Philips that were a complete TV chassis. Well, all the axial components, at least: resistors, diodes, inductors, capacitors, and even some plain wire links. Fascinating, but all used up now.
Closed Thread