UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2023, 5:41 pm   #1
comqpq1
Diode

Default Sanyo VTC 9300 won't load - clicks

I have Sanyo VTC 9300. When I load a tape, the loading ring does not rotate and I get a heavy click every couple of seconds. The little bar at the front (arrowed in attached photo) twitches when this happens. Any ideas?
PS Looking underneath, the loading ring gear rollers don't seem able to move near enough to the capstan flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VCT9300click.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	278146  
Old 22nd May 2023, 8:14 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Sanyo VTC 9300 won't load - clicks

Observe the capstan flywheel. There should be a rubber tyre around it. That tyre meshes with the loading/unloading rollers to drive the loading ring above. Very often that rubber tyre perishes and the machine can no longer load and unload tapes. I replaced mine with an O-ring I found at an automotive parts store. See picture attached for reference.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VTC 9350 underside mechanism.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	278605  
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:27 am   #3
comqpq1
Diode

Hi Fivos - thanks for replying. I eventually worked out there should be a tyre on the flywheel after zooming in on various pics posted around the web - it's not easy to see what there should be, even with the service manual. I've made a replacement from 4mm weldable belting and that works more or less - I still need to manually assist the load, but the unload is fine. I've also replaced the forward roller belt (with 3mm belting I think) as it was slack Then the rewind stopped working and I eventually worked out there should be a tyre on the rewind idler - that took 3mm belting and was a b****r to make and to fit, but it's working. I still don't have fast forward or play drive, so I'm continuing to work on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flywheel belt.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	278616   Click image for larger version

Name:	forward roller belt.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	278617   Click image for larger version

Name:	rewind idler belt.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	278618  
Old 24th May 2023, 10:36 am   #4
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Oh, I don't know what the material you used is as I'm not familiar with it. The O-ring I used looks like this. It's not square of course but it grips very well and the machine works as it should. Also a bit of lubrication of the loading ring drive gears should make the mechanism run much smoother.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221019_215325.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	278676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221019_215639.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	278677  
Old 25th May 2023, 10:23 am   #5
comqpq1
Diode

I got the latest batch of belting from Amazon - search "Polyurethane Conveyor Belt Green Rough Surface PU Urethane". I currently have 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm and 4mm and have made belts for all sorts of old things including cine projectors. The real trick is joining them cleanly. The rewind idler tyre I made wasn't quite flat at the join and tended to stick/slip at the bump but I've managed to rub it down enough.
I've also lubricated quite a lot of bits, including the pinch roller arm, which was stuck almost solid! I now have good mechanics and can load, eject, FF, REV and play but the picture is B&W, so something electrical is probably out. I'll try cleaning the heads first or maybe this is as good as I can get it.
Closed Thread