UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2023, 2:59 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Is analogue radio to cease in 2025?

I was in conversation with someone who seems to be in the know about radio broadcasting, and has informed me that by 2025, all analogue broadcasting will cease. Is this information accurate?
In the case of Radio Caroline being allocated 648 A.M frequency at least 5 years ago, and now they have "gone green" to save power, surely they will be allowed to stay on that frequency when the other stations have gone? If this is not true then someone in authority has given false information to Radio Caroline about their long term future on the medium wave!
Cheers
Mike
Old 28th Apr 2023, 3:25 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Is analogue radio to cease in 2025?

Does this answer your question? Of course the stations themselves may not want to renew.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/b...radio-stations
Old 28th Apr 2023, 3:40 pm   #3
Boulevardier
Octode

The Gov.uk statement includes this -

"Provided the stations also broadcast on digital radio, the government has decided to allow Ofcom to renew these analogue licences for a further ten-year period." [my emphasis]

How many analogue-only broadcasters will be have their services made economically unviable by this presumably expensive requirement to duplicate their analogue service on digital platforms? Or, are they all already duplicating in this way?

Mike
Old 28th Apr 2023, 3:48 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I don't know of any of the remaining MW [which I suspect is what is meant by 'analogue' in the original question] stations that don't also broadcast on some form of 'digital radio' [which these days seems to have been definitionally-expanded to encompass streaming to a computer- or phone-app/smartspeaker/smart-TV, or on a DTTV/Satellite channel] as well as traditional DAB.

Even Caroline is available 'digitally' via streaming... so would probably meet the definition of 'digital radio'.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 3:52 pm   #5
Station X

https://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#dab.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 4:55 pm   #6
Boulevardier
Octode

Interesting link re Caroline, but I find it very frustrating when there is no date attached to a web-page. The only date I can see mentioned, 2016, is a long time ago, and no doubt that was a date in the past when the page was posted - but how long in the past?

Mike
Old 28th Apr 2023, 5:25 pm   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Members may be interested in responses “Name withheld 3 and 4 “ to this proposal. Appears the reduction in service will be allowed.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...rage?showall=1
Old 28th Apr 2023, 5:34 pm   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Personally I don't think it'll cease fully, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lose most stations. DAB is terrible where I live - and I'm just north of London, it's got far too many drop outs, it seems you can just look at the radio in a funny way and it'd drop out.

I do believe analogue radio still has it's place, and will do for some time, but maybe not as high up as it once was.

Interestingly though, a few years ago RTE in Ireland shut down their DAB station in favour of FM, so maybe there's hope for us yet.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 6:38 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
I was in conversation with someone who seems to be in the know about radio broadcasting, and has informed me that by 2025, all analogue broadcasting will cease. Is this information accurate?
In the case of Radio Caroline being allocated 648 A.M frequency at least 5 years ago, and now they have "gone green" to save power, surely they will be allowed to stay on that frequency when the other stations have gone? If this is not true then someone in authority has given false information to Radio Caroline about their long term future on the medium wave!
Cheers
Mike
I think you should ask your friend "who seems to be in the know" to state the source of the information. Often people say things that are based on their not inconsiderable background knowledge on a subject, but unfortunately that's not quite the same thing as facts. Yes, we know that analogue radio is nearing the end of the line, anyone can see that, but as for when? We need facts from those who will be pulling the plug.
Old 28th Apr 2023, 10:16 pm   #10
Richard_FM
Nonode

Norway is the only country I've heard of that has totally switched to digital radio.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 10:24 am   #11
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I would concur with SteveHertz post #9.

FM is likely to be around a long time. Years ago the plan was for it to be used for local stations with the big boys who currently clog chunks of the band to ensure national coverage going DAB/online only. However, given the number of analogue-only receivers there are in vehicles especially, commercial broadcasters, aware of the loss of considerable advertising audience, would be resistant. Removing the BBC from FM to encourage the drive to digital could be a strategy but, as the BBC is now very audience ratings driven - at least when it comes to its popular output - in order to defend the licence fee, it is likely to be similarly resistant.

However, many lay folk talk about a digital switch off and assume that it will be the same as happened with television. If I was in Government and wishing to drive to all-digital broadcasting I would not be disabusing them of this notion.

Unlike television where the existing band was repurposed, the FM and AM bands are not going to be used for anything else so I really see no reason why analogue broadcasters shouldn't continue to use them as long as there is audience. Economics will dictate when FM and AM are no longer viable as is already being seen with the latter.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 10:51 am   #12
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post

However, many lay folk talk about a digital switch off and assume that it will be the same as happened with television.
Did you mean analogue switch off?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 3:27 pm   #13
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
In the case of Radio Caroline being allocated 648 A.M frequency at least 5 years ago, and now they have "gone green" to save power, surely they will be allowed to stay o'sn that frequency when the other stations have gone? If this is not true then someone i authority has given false information to Radio Caroline about their long term future on the medium wave!
Cheers
Mike
I think you should ask your friend "who seems to be in the know" to state the source of the information. Often people say things that are based on their not inconsiderable background knowledge on a subject, but unfortunately that's not quite the same thing as facts. Yes, we know that analogue radio is nearing the end of the line, anyone can see that, but as for when? We need facts from those who will be pulling the plug.
Hi Steve. He would not quote where he obtained his information source from. Unless it is a wind up as he knows that I enjoy restoring vintage radios. However, even in the 1980's, people have had a poke saying "what will you do when the analogue bands close"?
Old 29th Apr 2023, 3:31 pm   #14
Cathovisor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:

However, many lay folk talk about a digital switch off and assume that it will be the same as happened with television.
Probably not. Only this week we had the PAC discussing when the BBC should move to an "all-digital" future - as in, all streaming with no 'linear' broadcasting.

The big problem for me is the simplistic language this stuff is discussed in which just confuses matters.

Unfortunately I have met one or two people who profess to "being in the know" and close examination of what they say reveals enough horse manure to keep several acres of roses in bloom.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 4:42 pm   #15
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathovisor View Post
Unfortunately I have met one or two people who profess to "being in the know" and close examination of what they say reveals enough horse manure to keep several acres of roses in bloom.
Yep, the horses mouth is what's needed not the horses bum.

Lawrence.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 7:30 pm   #16
Tim
Dekatron

I listen( or rather try) to R4xtra in the van, travelling to jobs etc. and the DAB radio is totally useless. On R4x anyway. It’s actually “ service unavailable “ more often than it’s on. Average 5 minutes on for every 20 minutes of off, and unfortunately there is no analogue alternative.
DAB will have to be MUCH better before it becomes my preferred listening medium.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 8:53 pm   #17
Rich Woods
Pentode

Still can’t understand why they don’t use 198 LW or 252khz in the case of Ireland for some sort of national digital MUX. Didn’t they do trials on the old Hilversum LW transmitter some years ago?
Old 29th Apr 2023, 9:14 pm   #18
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I listen( or rather try) to R4xtra in the van, travelling to jobs etc. and the DAB radio is totally useless. On R4x anyway. It’s actually “ service unavailable “ more often than it’s on. Average 5 minutes on for every 20 minutes of off, and unfortunately there is no analogue alternative.
DAB will have to be MUCH better before it becomes my preferred listening medium.

Are any of the other DAB services any better?
I ask because all the "numbered" BBC radio channels including R4 Extra are broadcast on the same multiplex, and its reception should be particularly robust because it's broadcast nationally on a the same frequency (SFN) so by definition you can't be tuned to a wrong distant transmitter.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 9:34 pm   #19
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:

However, many lay folk talk about a digital switch over and assume that it will be the same as happened with television.
Old 30th Apr 2023, 8:32 am   #20
raditechman
Heptode

G6Tanuki said
Quote:
Even Caroline is available 'digitally' via streaming.
Caroline is also on DAB in some areas

John
Closed Thread