UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2023, 8:40 am   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Droitwich station construction

Not sure if this has been on here before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hr4xwpZYJ0
Old 13th Apr 2023, 11:01 am   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Droitwich station construction

In 1968 the physics teacher at school organised a trip to the Droitwich transmitter for the school's Radio club. We had a guided tour round the site and I'd taken a crystal set with a telephone earpiece and was listening to Radio 2 while standing next to the transmitter.

At the time the LW transmitter comprised two 200kW transmitters in parallel with the meters on each output valve showing 14A at 14kV. I don't know how much power the heaters took. The engineer showing us round said that when they wanted to do maintenance on one of the LW transmitters they just turned it off. I said don't you loose some listeners and his reply was "Yes just a few fringe area listeners and we're not too concerned about them!"

By that time the station was running from the National Grid with the diesel generators there as back up.

I drove past the site a few years ago and it's just a shadow of its former self.

At the time I lived about 8 miles from the transmitter and with 100ft of wire as an aerial and a good earth I managed to get about 1V dc from a crystal set.

Keith
Closed Thread